Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 motions sensors and cancelling second trigger with Activehome Pro  (Read 10794 times)

jwolk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I want to confirm that this will work before I invest in the ActiveHome Pro software.  I have a stairway from my garage to my kitchen that has lights that are turned on at the bottom of the stairs and top of the stairs (unfortunately, my wife keeps leaving them on fo indefinite periods).  I would like to use two MS14A motion sensors - one placed in the kitchen and the other in the garage to trigger a W467 light switch to turn on the lights and then have them remain on for a period of time.  As each motion sensor will be triggered as I walk up or down the stairs, I want to make sure I can trigger the light with one motion sensor and then cancel the signal from the second motion sensor.  Will Activehome pro accomplish this?  Do I need a specific macro?  If so, I appreciate any detailed info you can provide.  Many thanks -

J

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: 2 motions sensors and cancelling second trigger with Activehome Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:38:22 AM »

jwolk1,

You should be able to do this with AHP and the smart macro plug in. The first motion sensor to trigger could set a flag in AHP which could tell AHP  to not respond to any further input from the motion sensors.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:49:41 AM »

I took it one step farther using 2 sensors on steps going down to my basement. If the top sensor is triggered before the bottom, the person is walking down the steps: the lights come on. When the bottom sensor is triggered before the top, the person is going up the steps: the lights go off after 10 seconds. Just be sure the sensors are positioned so only one can be triggered at a time.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:03:12 AM »

I took it one step farther using 2 sensors on steps going down to my basement. If the top sensor is triggered before the bottom, the person is walking down the steps: the lights come on. When the bottom sensor is triggered before the top, the person is going up the steps: the lights go off after 10 seconds. Just be sure the sensors are positioned so only one can be triggered at a time.

What a GREAT idea!!!!!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:24:45 AM »

Wouldn't it be simpler to just use a motion sensor (or two if you need more coverage), and se them to turn on the lights if they sense motion, and off 10 minutes after the motion stops?
No macros, no conditions, no flags needed.

jwolk1

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »

Thanks to all for responses.

Noam - I believe I need the macros and conditions because I was told in an X10 chat that if I walk up the stairs the motion sensor at the bottom would trigger the light on and then when I walk past the motion sensor at the top it would turn off the light - I need a delay otherwise the light in this example could shut-off as I am walking half way up the stairs b/c the motion sensor positioned at the top would sense my motionl.  I, however, defer to you and the forum as perhaps I was misinformed or misunderstood the X10 chat personnel.

Bill H - you are essentially accomplishing what I want to do.  My only concern is with your comment "just make sure they are positioned so that only one is triggered at a time" - if you are using a one-story stairwell how do you accomplish this?  I would need to set the motion sensors at the top and bottom of the steps - this might trigger the off command too early from the second sensor.  Do you mind providing detailed instructions as to how you accomplished this in Active Home Pro?

Many thanks to all -

J
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:16:46 PM by jwolk1 »

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 11:22:07 AM »

Bill,

Your set up sounds great and I can see how it would work if you are the only one in the house, but wouldn't there be problems if two people went down the stairs and only one went back up. Would not the one still on the lower level be left in the dark?

Jim
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:23:57 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:19:48 PM »

jwolk1-- If the sensors trip at the same time, the idea could fail. But, the only way to really find out is try as many locations as possible.  I had to play a bit since my stairwell was not large, but eventually got it to work well.

JimC-- Other sensors in the downstairs room tell the system people are still present. In that case, either top or bottom sensor can trigger the stairs light and the opposing sensor (top or bottom) turns them off. This is one of those macros that started simply and grew into a monster. Could have used the simple timing method as suggested (and a good suggestion), but this became a crusade, if you know what I mean.

jwolk1

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »

OK - if the sensors trip at the same time then maybe the following would be a better work around for me -

I have light switches at the top and bottom of the stairs that turn on and off the same light.  If I was to install two sensors and two lights switches with each sensor/switch combo being coded differently I assume the first sensor would turn on the light and the second off the light (based solely on the wiring in the house).  Is it possible to create a macro that would say if the 1st sensor/switch code has been sent then ignore sensor/switch code 2 for a certain period of time?  Thoughts?

If this would work I would also appreciate assistance with creating the macro.  Many thanks -

Jeremy

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.