Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why Doesn't X10 Make An Omnidirectional Antenna???  (Read 37661 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Why Doesn't X10 Make An Omnidirectional Antenna???
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:48:06 PM »

Why doesn't x10 make a decent omnidirectional antenna like the setup below. That's why so many people have to go through the acrobatics of trying to adjust the directional antenna on the receiver they make. If you have cameras in the front and the back of your house it's a real balancing act to try to get reception from both and that hogwash about laying it flat is well....... hogwash!!!!!!!!!!!! take a look at the system below and you tell me if this wouldn't be a better way to go.

Tom j

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1648#a1
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:38:40 PM by tom j »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Why Doesn't X10 Make An Omnidirectional Antenna???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:40:14 AM »

I have often wondered the very same thing.

Especially if you mount the X10 cam to a "ninja" pan-tilt base!

What were they thinking (or maybe smoking) when they came up with this?   ???
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 02:23:55 AM »

I have often wondered the very same thing....
Yeah me too. My flood cams are in opposite directions from my computer. There's really no ideal solution with a single receiver.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

tom j

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 05:53:11 PM »

I have often wondered the very same thing.

Especially if you mount the X10 cam to a "ninja" pan-tilt base!

What were they thinking (or maybe smoking) when they came up with this?   ???

Yep, Yep!!!! I forgot to mention the ninja especially with the ninja mount, must have to do with money. X10 is known for trying to say a few pennies here and there. They can probably get away with a cheaper receiver or something whatever it is I bet you it has to do with cost!!!

Tom j

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »

I had purchased a tiny little wireless camera (powered by a 9 volt battery) that I duct taped to a remote controlled (toy) Humvee. It has a little nub of a wire antenna, and a omnidirectional receiver. I have set in my easychair and driven the device around in both my front and backyard.... MUCH better flexability than with a "patch" antenna.

The receiver also works with my X10 cameras.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:08:50 PM »

...The receiver also works with my X10 cameras.
Hmm.. Are you saying you discovered an omni directional receiver that works with all the X10 cameras?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »

Hmm.. Are you saying you discovered an omni directional receiver that works with all the X10 cameras?

Yes.... but I dont use the sound... not legal here to listen.

tom j

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 05:15:59 PM »

Yes.... but I dont use the sound... not legal here to listen.

Dave REALLY?????????? where WHERE!!!!!! we want to know, I didn't know that's what you were saying! we all want to know fill us in PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom j

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 10:53:35 PM »

Dave REALLY?????????? where WHERE!!!!!! we want to know, I didn't know that's what you were saying! we all want to know fill us in PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom j

Wait.... what I said was I bought a camera (an OFF-brand) that can also pick up an X10 video (I don't use sound with my cameras). In my original post I included a link (below) to the camera/receiver. I know I can receive VIDEO on channel D.

I had purchased a tiny little wireless camera (powered by a 9 volt battery) that I duct taped to a remote controlled (toy) Humvee. It has a little nub of a wire antenna, and a omnidirectional receiver. I have set in my easychair and driven the device around in both my front and backyard.... MUCH better flexability than with a "patch" antenna.

Aquadeveloper

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »

Dave,

I liked the looks of that camera/receiver combo.  Also the 'ability' of the receiver able to work with
X-10 Cam's, so I ordered one.  :)

tom j

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:28 AM »

Took this off another post here on the wireless Cameras board seems like a lot of folks agree with me,

Tom j

Partial Quote:
Regarding the quality of x10 products in general, I found that everything can be made to work as advertised except for the wireless video transmission, which is really not good enough for use with multiple cameras in a typical home even if it is cheap.  The reason is that while you may be able to get 1 or 2 positioned just right, getting the receiver antenna positioned just right to be able to clearly receive a wireless video signal from 8 different camera locations is unlikely.

tom j

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 03:02:37 AM »

Humm sorry Dave didn't see that link whoops  :o think I might pick one up also, thanks!

Tom j

tom j

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 01:18:48 AM »

Dave you obviously have dealt with these folks before whats your opinion on this set of four seems like there's a remote of some sort, wondering what the picture quality is like, might just dump my x10 stuff note the receiver is Omnidirectional!!   :P Thanks!

Tom j

Aquadeveloper

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 09:30:20 AM »

Tom,

You would know the price would DROP day after I made my order.  :(
But it looks good.

I like the omni idea also.  :)

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »

Dave you obviously have dealt with these folks before.........

I've bought a few things from Geeks.com. I have always been happy with my purchases.

...........whats your opinion on this set of four seems like there's a remote of some sort, wondering what the picture quality is like, might just dump my x10 stuff note the receiver is Omnidirectional!!   :P Thanks!

Tom j

I use both wired and wireless cameras, color and B&W, IR and regular, X10 and non-X10.......... my favorite are the X10 cams. X10 cameras are tough, little easy to hide, work horses. And best yet for intergrading into a Home Automation system.

I have an IR camera mounted where it can be easily spotted by a potential intruder! It is larger than the X10 cams, it is painted silver and glows RED when on. I think it works well as a deterrent, and its great for manually (by manually... I mean saying: "Computer... nightvision camera ON") peeking outside (from my easychair) when it's dark outside.

However... I also have several lights and floodlights on motion sensors. The lights also serve as a deterrent, and make IR unnecessary. As an added deterrent.... I also have an outside voice announcement I created using the X10 motion sensor and BVC. I show the lights and announcement on the video from my Web Site.

I am a big believer in deterring intruders.... I started a thread on the subject.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:13:23 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.