Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 system can't get it to work  (Read 9103 times)

tonster599

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 system can't get it to work
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:20:54 PM »

I have, energy saving light all over the house. The X10 system seem not to work unless I use a regular light bulb. How do I get light to turn off and on using the energy saving light? I'm using Indigo 2 Program, ActiveHome Pro System, X10 PowerHouse Lamp Module. Is there a Module that you can use for Fluorescent lamps or energy saving lights?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:42:37 PM by tonster599 »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: X10 system can't get it to work
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »

I have, energy saving light all over the house. The X10 system seem not to work unless I use a regular light bulb. How do I get light to turn off and on using the energy saving light.

Need more info:

Are you using Active Home Pro?

What switches / modules are you controlling the lights with?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 12:18:07 PM »

I have, energy saving light all over the house. The X10 system seem not to work unless I use a regular light bulb. How do I get light to turn off and on using the energy saving light? I'm using Indigo 2 Program, ActiveHome Pro System, X10 PowerHouse Lamp Module. Is there a Module that you can use for Fluorescent lamps or energy saving lights?
The standard 2 wire X10  wall switch (aka WS467)will [normally*] not work with CFLs (compact fluorescent Lights), hence the notice on the switch  to "use with incandescent lights only".
X10 Pro wall switch XPS3 will control CFLs and standard fluorescent lights, but the XPS3 switch needs a neutral wire , and not all homes have neutrals in their wall switch boxes. Easiest alternative is to use a "Socket Rocket" instead of a X10 wall switch to control the CFL.

A X10 Lamp Module or Appliance Module also does not play nice with CFLs due to the "local control" feature which cause the CFL to flicker when "OFF".

Any X10 device that can DIM is usually not compatible with CFLs

* a two wire X10 switch can drive a CFL but a second "ballest incandescent" bulb must be added in parallel with the CFL socket...a lot of trouble. Use a Socket Rocket, they work very well for CFLs and LED lights.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

PhilTroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »

Dear Dave W

I talked to the sales staff - they told me the socket rocket doesn't work with cfl.  Please let me know if you have personal experience using cfls and led bulbs (and if the latter which ones) using socket rockets.  I have 6 bulbs in one socket that I wish to control individually so the socket rocket would be great.

Thanks Phil

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »

The Socket Rocket has been used by many with CFLs with varied success.
I have used them with no problems with some brands of CFLs. Others turn on and off fine but the combination makes X10 band noise on the powerline. As seen with an ELK ESM-1 X10 Signal meter and a Smarthome TesterLinc.
I have tried Low Wattage LED Bulbs in a Socket Rocket and they seem to work fine. LED Bulbs in things like Lamp and Appliance Modules glow about 1/2 brightness all the time from the Local Control Sensing circuits. I have not checked for X10 noise with CFLs.
Added Information:
Did some added tests with CFLs and the Socket Rocket. My testing had the ELK ESM-1 very close to the Socket Rocket and if it was moved farther away the noise was much lower. So the homes wiring characteristics may make the noise not a factor. Also the ESM-1 shows noise even if it is not close to the AC Zero Crossing where X10 signals are sent. So if it is not at the X10 signal time it again may not be a big factor.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:13:14 PM by Brian H »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 11:32:32 PM »

The Socket Rocket has been used by many with CFLs with varied success.
I have used them with no problems with some brands of CFLs. Others turn on and off fine but the combination makes X10 band noise on the powerline. As seen with an ELK ESM-1 X10 Signal meter and a Smarthome TesterLinc.
I have tried Low Wattage LED Bulbs in a Socket Rocket and they seem to work fine. LED Bulbs in things like Lamp and Appliance Modules glow about 1/2 brightness all the time from the Local Control Sensing circuits. I have not checked for X10 noise with CFLs.
Added Information:
Did some added tests with CFLs and the Socket Rocket. My testing had the ELK ESM-1 very close to the Socket Rocket and if it was moved farther away the noise was much lower. So the homes wiring characteristics may make the noise not a factor. Also the ESM-1 shows noise even if it is not close to the AC Zero Crossing where X10 signals are sent. So if it is not at the X10 signal time it again may not be a big factor.

Thanks Brian H,

Very helpful information!   8)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:17:12 PM »

Dear Dave W

I talked to the sales staff - they told me the socket rocket doesn't work with cfl.  Please let me know if you have personal experience using cfls and led bulbs Thanks Phil

Yes,  I use Socket Rockets on CFLs and LED bulbs.

The LED bulbs are: 1) PAR-50 type bulbs with 21 LED's per bulb,  and 2) 3 watt CREE unit in small 120V spot bulbs. Both styles are commmon on eBay. Anywho, the Socket Rocket works fine with all.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.