Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM10A with heyu  (Read 31509 times)

coder1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM10A with heyu
« on: February 24, 2008, 02:11:09 PM »

I may have bought the wrong type of motion sensor, but I want to see if I can get any action on the heyu monitor with it anyway.

I picked up the CM10a and the transceiver module RR501.  I can monitor signal from the remote (HR12A) to the transceiver just fine, but I'm having trouble figuring out how the CM10a should be setup.

The only instructions on setting up the code for the MS10a is setting it up with the x10 security console.  Any insight into how I can set this up strictly with the equipment I've mentioned above and heyu?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: CM10A with heyu
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:56:55 AM »

I may have bought the wrong type of motion sensor, but I want to see if I can get any action on the heyu monitor with it anyway.

I picked up the CM10a and the transceiver module RR501.  I can monitor signal from the remote (HR12A) to the transceiver just fine, but I'm having trouble figuring out how the CM10a should be setup.

The only instructions on setting up the code for the MS10a is setting it up with the x10 security console.  Any insight into how I can set this up strictly with the equipment I've mentioned above and heyu?

The Heyu Users forum:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users is intended for questions like this.  But since you're here:

The MS10A is an X10 Security Motion Sensor and its RF signal is not receivable directly by the CM10A (which has no RF receiving capability at all) or by the RR501 (which only receives standard X10 RF signals, not security signals).  To receive X10 Security signals you'll need a W800RF32A RF receiver (http://www.wgldesigns.com) , which will probably cost 4X what you paid for all the other X10 stuff you have if my guess is correct.

Alternatively you could dump the MS10A and get a standard X10 MS14A Motion Sensor for around $11 on eBay.  The RR501 can receive the signals from this.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

coder1

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

thanks Charles.  i already ordered some but was hoping i could figure out a way to use this one.  oh well, not a big loss.  thanks for the information and i'll use that group for specific heyu questions now.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:23:23 PM »

One question:  What is a CM10A and where did you get it?  It's not an X10 item, a search of the X10 site reveals nothing.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:27:15 AM »

One question:  What is a CM10A and where did you get it?  It's not an X10 item, a search of the X10 site reveals nothing.

Dan,
The CM10A is a predecessor to the CM11A which has no clock or batteries or EEPROM memory.   It has a very small RAM memory area which can hold a few simple macros and which has to be reloaded in the event of a power interruption.  It was marketed as an early version (IBM HD16) of the IBM Home Director but to my knowledge was never directly sold to users by X-10.

The protocol for it is included in X-10's protocol document for the CM11A.  It's compatible with the CM11A insofar as sending and receiving X10 signals over the powerline is concerned and is supported by Heyu (http://www.heyu.org) and probably by some other third-party software.   It won't work with ActiveHome 1.42 because the required powerup initialization is different from the CM11A.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »

Thanks, Charles.

I went from the CP290 to Active Home/CM11A to Active Home Pro/CM15A.  Since I have always been in the PC world, I presume the CM10A was marketed by IBM only to Mac users.

Learn something new every day.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »

Thanks, Charles....
...I went from the CP290 to Active Home/CM11A to Active Home Pro/CM15A....
Ditto on the thanks to Charles for the enlightening trivia.  ;)
Also taking the CP290-->CM11A-->CM15A path, I missed the CM10A also.
Based on the description of "no clock or batteries or EEPROM memory", I'm glad I missed it.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

coder1

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »

Made me look and I'm getting all these numbers mixed up, I don't have a CM10A.  It's a RCA HC60CRX which is a CM11A I think.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:17:57 PM »

Thanks, Charles....
...I went from the CP290 to Active Home/CM11A to Active Home Pro/CM15A....
Ditto on the thanks to Charles for the enlightening trivia.  ;)
Also taking the CP290-->CM11A-->CM15A path, I missed the CM10A also.
Based on the description of "no clock or batteries or EEPROM memory", I'm glad I missed it.

The CM10A/HD16 was specially designed to work with the old IBM Aptiva  PC, which had the feature of starting up rapidly when it got the Ring Indicator signal on it's serial port - you could dial into the modem on your Aptiva and it would boot up (MS-DOS) in just a few seconds. Hence the feature of the CM10A and CM11A that they assert the Ring Indicator serial line when an X10 signal is received over the power line.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:35 PM »

Made me look and I'm getting all these numbers mixed up, I don't have a CM10A.  It's a RCA HC60CRX which is a CM11A I think.

Yes, the RCA HC60CRX is a CM11A.

(I was wondering why you were fiddling with an antique like the CM10A, although it does appear to work as well as the CM11A for sending and receiving X10 powerline signals.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.