Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Warspying and wireless cameras  (Read 22090 times)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Warspying and wireless cameras
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 07:46:24 AM »

If they span a group then you could have two on at the sametime and interference from two on cameras.

The exception to this is that if all the cameras are in the same AHP room. Regurdless of house code or unit codes.

Lets say you have 9 cameras all in the same AHP room. C1 - C4 and J5 - J8 and N9. Turning on C1 will turn off the other 8 cams. Turning on N9 will turn off the other 8 cams. The off command to the cameras will span over the groups and house codes as long as they are all in the same AHP room. I run 7 of my cams this way.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 08:12:48 AM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 09:38:18 AM »

My mini and maxi controllers; TR16A Touchtone responder and MT12A New version MiniTimer; have no RF receivers in them. I don't know how they could act as a transceiver.

I was looking at the IR543 infrared mini-controller, which is a plug-in controller, right?. It says it " Also accepts commands from X10 format infrared remote controls and turns them into powerline signals." :-\

But I just want to get clear on one thing. If I use the MT12A, I unplug the TM751 right? And then I can switch thru cameras on the TV using the MT12A by pushing the button corresponding to the camera I want to view? Is that how it would work? And if I have a TV Tuner on my PC it would work like that as well? ???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 10:32:23 AM »

Thanks KDR.
Since I do not use AHP I was not aware of that feature.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »

Yes the IR543 uses IR from some remotes that can send X10 in IR form. Like my UR19A 6 in 1 remote. Can be set to send X10 in RF form for a TM751;RR501 and any other module that can tranceive or IR format sent to a IR543 to be send on the powerline and send commands on 1-8 by the onboard buttons. So you could use a remote that controlls the TV and sends IR if you wanted to put the IR543 on top of the TV. If the remote can do X10 IR and the TV you have. That said you also may need a X10 Filter on the TV as it may absorb the X10 signals or make powerline noise.

Sorry I confused you saying Mini-Controller as there is also a plug in unit called that. Model number I have forgotten  :-[.

You can have more than one powerline controller connected at the sametime. You would not have to remove the TM751 if it didn't allow something you where trying to prevent.

Yes you can send powerline signals with the IR453 or any other X10 tabletop unit.

Not sure on PC control. I am sure others will chime in.

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »

I run 7 of my cams this way.

KDR, you have more cameras than I do and, just out of curiosity, have you ever been concerned that someone sitting in a van across the street could be intercepting your wireless transmissions? (assuming of course you have wireless cameras).

This stuff is all very new to me, and not just the warspying stuff, all the x10 products too! :o

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 02:06:45 PM »

I have 8 cams total. 7 are hardwired and 1 wireless. I went with wired cams for 2 reasons. the first is that 3 of the wired cams are nightvision non X10 cams (IR cams) and wired gives better images and the second reason was range issues. The wireless cam looks out over the drive and is also a non X10 nightvision cam. The other cams are inside buildings, a stairwell, garage and kennels. I really haven't thought much about anyone intercepting the wireless cam but i guess they could. If they wanted to look at the cam looking at the driveway they would get a better picture if they just parked by the drive.  ;D

If the cams are inside looking out it wouldn't make any difference if they could see them or not. Sound could be an issue but that could be blocked as indicated earlier in this thread. By far wired cams give you the best image and most security against outsiders.

Also someone would have to know what you have and have portable equipment to park outside and try and pick up the signal. Guess I would wonder why someone would want to do that just to do it. If they are crooks staking you out then you must have something they want. If that's the case no security would be 100%. Locks, security systems and cameras keep honest people honest and detour amateur crooks. Professional crooks can beat almost any systems. My outside cams are all highly visible and I have a professional sign in the front yard says I'm protected by a security system. There have been a few houses in the area that have been broke into, one right across the street last year. No houses with signs have had breakins yet.

I just saw an article in the local paper about a hobby shop that was robbed. They broke into a rear door and disabled the alarm system. The second thing they took out was a camera system. They took around $50,000 of collectable train sets. So much for security  ??? The police said the thieves were professionals.

All any of us can do is try and keep our own little part of the world safe and secure and share with others what seems to work for us.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

zach1234

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 02:14:59 AM »

I would not get that worried.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »

.......I hope the putty over the microphone hole plugs the sound, Dave, I'm feeling paranoid now.

I ran across an old post on another thread here... and it got me to thinking. So I did do a little searching on WarViewing (AKA WarSpying). I even found an instructional video on making an X10 receiver into an auto-scanner.

As you can see in the video... these kids were thrilled to see themselves on a surveillance camera.... who would have guessed. The Video also gives you a idea about the range the WarViewers actually get. I still don't see where under "normal" circumstances this would be a problem. But I did think it was worth sharing the info with the forum. And.... to say THANK-YOU birdzeye for bringing it to our attention.

Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.