Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to configure AHP to powerline versus RF  (Read 15939 times)

AdamF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to configure AHP to powerline versus RF
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »

I've seen in quite a few posts the mention of the X10 signal being sent via powerline versus RF.  I'm using AHP with the USB unit that plugs into the wall (CM15A I think?).  How do I know if it is sending signals via RF or through the powerlines?  I'm mainly using wall switches and a lamp module right now and they seem to be working.  Sometimes the lamp module that is furthest away from the CM15A doesn't respond which made me start thinking that it was sending signals via RF versus through the powerline.  I looked all over AHP and couldn't find this as a setting option.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

* Cor *

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: How to configure AHP to powerline versus RF
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:10:45 AM »

You can check your activity log it will tell you if it's RF. I believe it sounds like a noise or signal sucker problem. in the electric lines. The Veteran's on the board could help better. If using a hand held remote it's RF. If using AH-Pro it's more likely PowerLine. They will need more input from you I think. Like what switches your using and how you are triggering them.

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 10:44:41 AM »

In AHP click tools then hardware configuration. if the housecode(that your modules are set on) is set to transieved you are using both rf and powerline signals. This sounds more like a phase problem though. There are very informitive postings on this matter throughout this forum; unfortunaltly I do not have the links for them but if you do a search for "signal suckers, noise, and phase" I'm sure you will find some solutions to your problem. Good Luck!
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:52:05 AM »

More info would help though regarding the lamp in question. Is it in another room on the other side of the house? Does it work sometimes but not all of the time?  are the house codes and unit codes addressed the same on the modules and  in AHP? Is the house code set to transieved on the CM15A? What type of remote are you using ?  Please provide as much info as possible.
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »

FWIW
For all OUTGOING commands, the CM15A sends all commands on powerline (PLC), unless you program the CM15A to send that specific command by RF (done within the macro). "Tranceived" housecodes only means the CM15A will transceive all RF commands it receives for that housecode to PLC commands for powerline.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

AdamF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »

FWIW
For all OUTGOING commands, the CM15A sends all commands on powerline (PLC), unless you program the CM15A to send that specific command by RF (done within the macro). "Tranceived" housecodes only means the CM15A will transceive all RF commands it receives for that housecode to PLC commands for powerline.

Thank you.  This is how I assumed it worked.  Out of curiosity, I don't see where in the macro you can tell it to send the signal via RF.  I don't want to do this but was just curious.  As for my lamp problem, I think it's related to the fact that I'm trying to control a fluorescent aquarium strip light with a lamp module.  I have another thread about this so I won't repeat it here.  I was just curious about the RF versus powerline thing since I saw some posts about it.

Thanks for the responses.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »

AdamF

I think I need to ask for help on this. I, long ago, abandoned AHP and the CM15A for the "Homeseer" program. However my feeble brain seems to remember that to get CM15A to send RF commands, one had to force the command to be an RF transmission by defining the RF function as a special module.  Check your module types, I seem to remember one defined as a "RF module". So any macro command to that module resulted in the CM15A transmitting an RF command.

I am sure a current AHP user can help(?).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »

AdamF
The option to send RF is located in the dropdown to the right side  when creating a macro!
I'm not sure if smart macro plug-in is required to see this option!
Note: Change the lamp module to an appliance module for controling fluorescent lights! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 08:06:39 AM »

Adam,
I have some info that may be helpful on signal problems.
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14221.msg78991
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.