Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New user having troubles  (Read 12710 times)

Powderfinger

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New user having troubles
« on: November 28, 2007, 01:53:42 AM »

Greetings!

I bought an X10 system consisting of 4 cameras, two XX16A color and two XX20A B&W, I have the Vanguard Control Center Software (SW26A). I've had the system for exactly one week and have yet to been able to access the cameras remotely. The reason I bought the package was so I could monitor my home while I am away.

Tech support has been a big dissapointment. Unanswered email requests and very long periods of time on hold waiting for a tech support individual who always pawns me off to someone else...

I'm using XP Media Center Edition w/ Service Pack 2, Cable Broadband (Road Runner) and I've opened (forwarded) ports 80, 8080 and 8888. I even enabled DMZ on my router. In fact, in desperation I bypassed my wireless router altogether and I'm still unable to gain remote access. I've turned off the firewall in Windows and enabled remote user access. I've downloaded Active X.

The strange thing is that the remote computer seems to connect to some degree because the remote computer is able to move the FREQUENCY and QUALITY sliders on each side of the screen of the host computer and vice versa. However, no image will appear on the remote computer. I should mention that the system seems to be functioning well on the Host computer. Also, once the remote computer connects, there is a very short flurry of Green "activity" on the STATUS meters but then it immediately drops to vitually zilch but the sliders can still can operated from either computer. And I get the same result from each of several different remote computers.

Reading through these posts I see that the X10 Server had some problems over the past few days but the most recent post states that the Server is back up and running and that if anyone still can't connect, then the problem is on their end. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone offer some helpful advice?

Cheers,
dusty ~

kontrol_1

Re: New user having troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:49:50 PM »

forget the server and use MS RDP   remote to the host desktop just forward the rdp port on youre router and enable youre security back it works just fine store youre pics locally on the host when recording triggered by movmnt occures
the only thing is the refresh rate of the remote but youll see, you will be able to live with it ..

Cheers..

Powderfinger

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:28:08 AM »

Update:

I have gotten nowhere with tech support. I'm either put on hold continuously, forwarded to another rep who has no history of my case, or "accidentally disconnected". I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told one would call me within an hour, no one ever called.This happened 3 times.

The tech support for this product is the absolute worst I've ever seen in the cyber industry. I think the software/server is just as bad. I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against this company on several ground issues, so apparently most users haven't had the problems I've had....

I thought about sending everything back but the cameras actually work pretty good at the host location so I decided to bypass the entire x-10 server and subscribe to GoToMyComputer.com. (instead of MS Remote Desktop as was suggested above) GoToMyComputer.com is as good as advertised. An excellent product, everything the Vanguard X10 company isn't. It took less than 2 minutes to subscribe, download and access my host computer. I'm now watching my N.Y. home from my winter home in FL. and have had no interuptions, glitches or failures...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:31:46 AM »

There are several tools available that will allow one to remotely control a home PC from any where on the net!
Most users here like myself have been using the free version of  RealVNC for years! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

email

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:02:08 AM »

I'm using logmein and works awesome. However, I haven't been able to have the vanguard software to send me an e-mail to notify me that motion has been detected.
So from time to time and log in and check the cameras and then logout, but if something triggers the motions detectors I won't know.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:50:13 AM »

Update:

I have gotten nowhere with tech support. I'm either put on hold continuously, forwarded to another rep who has no history of my case, or "accidentally disconnected". I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told one would call me within an hour, no one ever called.This happened 3 times.

The tech support for this product is the absolute worst I've ever seen in the cyber industry. I think the software/server is just as bad. I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against this company on several ground issues, so apparently most users haven't had the problems I've had....

I thought about sending everything back but the cameras actually work pretty good at the host location so I decided to bypass the entire x-10 server and subscribe to GoToMyComputer.com. (instead of MS Remote Desktop as was suggested above) GoToMyComputer.com is as good as advertised. An excellent product, everything the Vanguard X10 company isn't. It took less than 2 minutes to subscribe, download and access my host computer. I'm now watching my N.Y. home from my winter home in FL. and have had no interuptions, glitches or failures...

I say what camera setup did you buy? I was thinking about that Vanguard software but as usual x19 software and support just isn't up to snuff. Say anyone actually got this setup working?? Thanks!!

Tom  j

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 12:33:45 PM »

tom j:   Since you already have the AHP/iWatchout package, install it and see what you can acomplish with it!
I have played with the Vanguard software package but if you want more control the AHP setup is the way to go! No need to buy any more software! ;)
Since everyones internet connection is different what works for one may not work for you!
I've not been able to configure Vangaurd to send email or Pics to A FTP site but that may be because I have AHP installed!
(get a DLL error) ::) Perhaps when I have more time I'll dig deeper into it! But for now I can do this via AHP or X10Dispatcher! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.