Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 and inverters  (Read 4185 times)

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
X10 and inverters
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:29:24 PM »

Our plan is to move to New Mexico next year or '09 to pursue our goal of energy independence.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with X10 and the inverters used with solar and wind power applications.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: X10 and inverters
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:46:20 PM »

Our plan is to move to New Mexico next year or '09 to pursue our goal of energy independence.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with X10 and the inverters used with solar and wind power applications.

Not sure what you mean by inverters.  X10 works with 120 volts AC. AC power is AC power.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »

Not sure what you mean by inverters.  X10 works with 120 volts AC. AC power is AC power.

That is not necessarily true.  Most X10 modules with transformerless power supplies need a sinusoidal input waveform to prevent damage.  Some inverters produce a 3-state waveform pseudo sinewave.  Excessive current spikes caused by the fast rise and fall times can burn out the current limiting resistor in transformerless supplies.

A true sinewave inverter includes circuity to produce a smooth waveform, and X10 devices should work fine with those inverters.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 08:11:39 PM »

A true sinewave inverter includes circuity to produce a smooth waveform, and X10 devices should work fine with those inverters.

Jeff

That's what I was hoping to hear. I knew we weren't going with a modified, or squarewave  inverter, heard about too many problems with appliances not running right. And if we decide to be grid-tied, I'm  sure the utilities wouldn't allow anything but a pure sinewave inverter anyways.
But I will have my AF 120 filters and the XTB with me, just in case they're needed!
Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:15:15 AM by dahur »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »

I can confirm that the modified sinewave inverters will cause problems!
I plan to upgrade the log home/cottage to a pure sine wave inverter this year, modified inverters put too much noise on the lines :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Russie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 07:18:11 AM »

Russie Here,
  Yes X-10 works very well with Pure sine wave Inverter. I have a Prosine 2.5 KW pure sine wave running a sub-panel which has lots of modules running with AHP and works well both when it's inverting or on the Grid !
Russie

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.