Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need a starting point....  (Read 9793 times)

Boiler

Re: Need a starting point....
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 01:56:40 PM »

For the ceiling fan, I was recommended an XPDI3 by the X10 sales staff. It's a dimmer switch
that will take an inductive load. The dimming function will allow for varying the fan speeds as well
as giving it on/off control.

Teerex,

As Dave_W indicated, depending on the type of motor used in your fan, it may hum with a dimming style controller.  You may be able to "minimize" the hum by selecting different speeds at the fan (pull chain).  Rather than trying to explain the "why" here, I'll defer to the X10 sage - "Uncle Phil"

Uncle Phil Link: Controlling Motors and Transformers

Unfortunately if your fan does hum with the XPDI3, you don't have many options.  Lightolier does have a CCWHIP controller that is advertised as being a "No Hum" unit.  I am not sure how they accomplish this, but the controller price may exceed that of your fan.

Has anyone tried adding a filter to the output of a dimmer to "smooth" the signal and reduce fan hum?

Boiler

teerex

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »

Teerex,

As Dave_W indicated, depending on the type of motor used in your fan, it may hum with a dimming style controller.  You may be able to "minimize" the hum by selecting different speeds at the fan (pull chain).  Rather than trying to explain the "why" here, I'll defer to the X10 sage - "Uncle Phil"

Uncle Phil Link: Controlling Motors and Transformers

Unfortunately if your fan does hum with the XPDI3, you don't have many options.  Lightolier does have a CCWHIP controller that is advertised as being a "No Hum" unit.  I am not sure how they accomplish this, but the controller price may exceed that of your fan.

Has anyone tried adding a filter to the output of a dimmer to "smooth" the signal and reduce fan hum?

Boiler

Thanks, Dave W, for the heads up, and Boiler, for the link and additional info. After installing the switch,
if I have the humming issue, I'll probably replace the XPDI with a WS13 (or get earplugs for me and the
wife :P I'm not too concerned about having speed control as we typically use it at the same speed setting.
Currently, my fan remote switch comprises shouting out to one of my kids to come in and turn the fan off/on.
After all, that's why people have kids, isn't it ;)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 05:59:40 PM »

...Currently, my fan remote switch comprises shouting out to one of my kids to come in and turn the fan off/on.
After all, that's why people have kids, isn't it ;)
That works up until they become teenagers. Then they begin to grow up and realize they're being used and it's not as much fun without some motivation. Now ask them to get the ice cream and it's a difference story.  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.