Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS467 - Is my unit defective?  (Read 3447 times)

mikerobb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • JS-X.com
WS467 - Is my unit defective?
« on: December 01, 2007, 11:17:16 PM »

Great site - I've ready many many threads and am perplexed.

I have a new install (just unpacked the X10 box yesterday).  Just grabed the software download for Active Home Pro (v 3.204)

I purchased:
 - Active Home Pro 2-Way PC Interface (CM15A)
 - Wall Switch Module (WS467) [x5 quantity]
 - SuperSocket Outlet Module (SR227)

I am able to use the Active Home Pro to control the SR227 On/Off - it works fine.
I am able to use the Active Home Pro to control the WS467 modules Off only.  I can module the brightness from 1% to 100% as long as it is already on.  Once the light switch goes to full off, the switch can only be turned on manually at the physical switch.  If I command the light Off, but it is still on its way off, I can get it commanded back on.  So the modules will receive the On and Off command, but the "On" command will only work as long at the light is still on.

I have tried putting a new light bulb in the bulb-outlet.  It is a 100W / 120V standard bulb.

I've read many different suggestions for others to follow and some of them are a bit dated - what is the current belief.
One reader suggested the latest batch of WS467 modules are defective.
Others have suggested using different 'modules' in the Active Home Pro - and I have tried those plus others to no avail.
I have tried the macro path for 'full on' to no avail.
I have tried different home labels - started with A1, A2, ... and have switched to another M1, M2, ... same results.
I was going to try a Linux command program, but those do not work with the CM15A (unless there is one I have not found yet :) ?? )

I don't mind reading if responses are simply links to other resource/information.

I am curious what path I should follow.

Thanks for any help or assistance.

Cheers.
--Mike

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: WS467 - Is my unit defective?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 12:10:44 AM »

Great site - I've ready many many threads and am perplexed.

I have a new install (just unpacked the X10 box yesterday).  Just grabed the software download for Active Home Pro (v 3.204)

I purchased:
 - Active Home Pro 2-Way PC Interface (CM15A)
 - Wall Switch Module (WS467) [x5 quantity]
 - SuperSocket Outlet Module (SR227)

I am able to use the Active Home Pro to control the SR227 On/Off - it works fine.
I am able to use the Active Home Pro to control the WS467 modules Off only.  I can module the brightness from 1% to 100% as long as it is already on.  Once the light switch goes to full off, the switch can only be turned on manually at the physical switch.  If I command the light Off, but it is still on its way off, I can get it commanded back on.  So the modules will receive the On and Off command, but the "On" command will only work as long at the light is still on.

I have tried putting a new light bulb in the bulb-outlet.  It is a 100W / 120V standard bulb.

I've read many different suggestions for others to follow and some of them are a bit dated - what is the current belief.
One reader suggested the latest batch of WS467 modules are defective.
Others have suggested using different 'modules' in the Active Home Pro - and I have tried those plus others to no avail.
I have tried the macro path for 'full on' to no avail.
I have tried different home labels - started with A1, A2, ... and have switched to another M1, M2, ... same results.
I was going to try a Linux command program, but those do not work with the CM15A (unless there is one I have not found yet :) ?? )

I don't mind reading if responses are simply links to other resource/information.

I am curious what path I should follow.

Thanks for any help or assistance.

Cheers.
--Mike

It sounds like you have the "New and Improved" WS467.  However if you've tried programming it in AHP as a LM14A and none of the five WS467 you have work with that, then perhaps X-10 is shipping a "Newer and Even More Improved" WS467.  (Geez, I hope not.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:25:21 AM »

It could also be noise.   PC power supplies are notorious for being noise generators that block x10 signals. Since you just got AHP and the CM15A, I'm betting it's noise, not another X10 "woopsie" to drive use all nuts.

Check out X10 Pro http://www.x10pro.com/ and Automated Outlet http://www.automatedoutlet.com/home.php as good sources for noise filters.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

mikerobb

• JS-X.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:36:19 AM »

thanks for the information.  after some reading (before seeing your reply by a few minutes) i have ordered:
http://www.smarthome.com/4826a.html
 ( 4-Pin SignaLinc™ Plug-in Coupler-Repeater )

It should arrive in 1-2 weeks given shipping delays :) and i'll post a follow up on how it goes after that.

thanks again.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »

The repeater will help with coupling to the other phase of the home. You still may have problems with X10 band noise or signal suckers. As Dan mentioned Computer Power Supplies can be a problem. I had to add an X10 type filter to my APC BX1000 UPS to stop it from absorbing a large amount of signal.

mikerobb

• JS-X.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 10:16:19 PM »

The SignalLinc worked like a charm.  Highly suggested for others - it works great.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.