Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Home Pro does NOT kill Screen Savers.  (Read 5685 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Active Home Pro does NOT kill Screen Savers.
« on: December 03, 2007, 07:29:23 PM »

It's been said that AHP will kill a Windows Screen Saver.  It doesn't.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

svcguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Active Home Pro does NOT kill Screen Savers.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:09:32 AM »

How do you keep yours from killing the screen saver?  Whenever AHP is maximized and on top the rest of the windows, my screensaver won't start.  Minimize it, or open another window (say, task manager) and let it sit, and the screensaver will start!  I plan to run AHP on an embedded type PC with a small 8.4" touch panel as the main interface.  It would sit on my table and run a simple My Pictures screensaver to disguise it as a simple digital photo frame (only way to get WAF).

Thanks, Andy
BTW:  I'm a n00b

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:02:51 AM »

I have the same problem. When AHP is running and displayed it stops not only the screen saver but it also stops the power saving settings setup in XP. (No sleep mode)

As soon as you minimize it to the task bar everything works fine. I played around with this some time back and never got it to work right. It is possible since it works for Dan that it may have something to do with having one or more of the plugins installed. I have all the plugins so maybe someone that say has all but OnAlert could report back and let us know if it works on there machine.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »

I have the same problem. When AHP is running and displayed it stops not only the screen saver but it also stops the power saving settings setup in XP. (No sleep mode)

I have all plug-ins w/XP Pro been trying to figure this bug out, off and on for 6 months.  Pretty sure I have tried changing every setting ....twice. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:22:21 PM by x10challanged »

svcguy

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:03:55 PM »

I have nothing really to base this on, but I think it's the X10 logo graphic on the top.  That generally annoys me anyway, as it blocks some of the menu bar.  I've never really seen any other program with that, and just about every other program doesn't have a problem with the screen saver.

Does anyone know how to make that go away?

Andy

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »

I have nothing really to base this on, but I think it's the X10 logo graphic on the top.  That generally annoys me anyway, as it blocks some of the menu bar.  I've never really seen any other program with that, and just about every other program doesn't have a problem with the screen saver.

Does anyone know how to make that go away?

Andy

If you mean the "X10 Active Home Professional" at the top of the program, you can't turn that off, it's part of the programming.

For all, when I originally posted that AHP does not kill screen savers, it's true. AHP only suppresses the screen saver, to kill it means you get to go into the Control Panel, then open the Display Options and reactivate the screen saver. 

svcguy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:38:41 PM »

If you mean the "X10 Active Home Professional" at the top of the program, you can't turn that off, it's part of the programming.

Too bad.  It's badly placed and probably the culprit.

As for the screensaver and AHP, is there a known way to suppress the suppressing?

Andy

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

Not that I know of, as long as it is maximized, it suppresses the screen saver.  Close it or minimize it, the screen saver works. I tried opening it, going downstairs to put some wash-n-ware shirts in the washer, then coming back and seeing only AHP on the screen.  I then closed it and began to write this post, walked away from the PC to get something to drink, came back to find the screen saver running (Firefox was open at the time).

I suspect you have to live with it.   It would take a programing change to effect that, and X10 is low on programmers at this time, it took X10 nearly two years to produce and up grade to AHP from 3.204 to 3.228. Other software outfits manage to produce an upgrade every year. 

svcguy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:41 PM »

That's too bad.  Otherwise, so far, it seems to be a good product.  Thanks for the info.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:52:13 AM »

Guess what.  I have Active Home Pro 3.228 and it DOES NOT kill a Windows screen saver.   AHP is open right now, sitting on a room and the screen saver, set for every two minutes of inactivity to start and run.  I walk away from the PC and the screen saver starts and runs.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.