Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modules suddenly quit working  (Read 5625 times)

bbarton

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Modules suddenly quit working
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »

I've had X10 devices for years and last year switched to using a CM15A USB controller/Active Home Pro.  Everything has worked great until this past weekend.  Something happened as none of my timer events seemed to be working.  Loading Activehome Pro and trying to control the devices manually did not work either.  When my old serial control interfaces batteries died it would act funny.  SO, I changed the batteries in the CM15A thinking this might resolve the issue.  I still cannot control modules in the same outlets that I've had them in for several years.  I moved a couple of modules closer to the CM15A and found that I could then control them. 

Naturally I figured that SOMETHING had to change.  I checked for any new electrical devices that had been plugged in around the time the modules quit and could find nothing.  It's odd that they picked over the Thanksgiving holiday to quit working.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Ben

P.S. I already have a phase coupler in place.

vafletch

Re: Modules suddenly quit working
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 01:14:28 AM »

Interesting that there is another post on another topic that speaks to some modules not working around the exact same time:
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14058.msg78063#msg78063

Personally, I'm having some issues getting my Wall Switch Modules (WS467) to respond.

I'll keep poking around.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 06:58:52 AM »

I would start by checking the activity monitor in AHP. Do you see a constant stream of data? If so you could have a button stuck on one of your devices. If you do see a lot of activity on the activity monitor you will have to find the source. Try removing batteries or unplugging devices one at a time till the data stream stops.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

bbarton

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »

I've never had good luck with wall switch modules working.  Perhaps it is the way most homes are wired.  In most homes the light fixture in the ceiling is fed "hot" with 120V and a neutral and then a "switch leg" consisting of a 120V wire and a return wire is fed down to the switch module.  I don't know what part, if any, the neutral plays in X10 operations but I do know it is present in receptacles and not in light switches.  Perhaps the added distance the signal has to travel without a neutral nearby for wall switch modules is causing a problem??

Ben

Interesting that there is another post on another topic that speaks to some modules not working around the exact same time:
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14058.msg78063#msg78063

Personally, I'm having some issues getting my Wall Switch Modules (WS467) to respond.

I'll keep poking around.

bbarton

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »

Jim, In reading about some problems on here, I found out to check the Activity Monitor and I only see the normal on/off commands.  No errant data nor a constant stream.  I figured this was some kind of interference and the only new device that I've added doesn't seem to cause the problem (I unplugged it and tested).

Is it possible that my phase coupler capacitor has "went bad" and is causing some kind of interference?

Ben

I would start by checking the activity monitor in AHP. Do you see a constant stream of data? If so you could have a button stuck on one of your devices. If you do see a lot of activity on the activity monitor you will have to find the source. Try removing batteries or unplugging devices one at a time till the data stream stops.

JimC

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:10:04 AM »

Ben,

I had a similar problem some time ago with some of my previously working devices all of a sudden no longer working. I was sure that I had not added anything new. After some time trying to track the problem down I realised that when I was cleaning up some of the wiring in my hobby room I had added a surge protected outlet strip. This was the cause of my problem.

You stated that your problems started over the Thanksgiving weekend. By chance did you put up any Christmass lights that weakend or did you add anything that plugs into an outlet.

Is it possible that my phase coupler capacitor has "went bad" and is causing some kind of interference

What are you using for a phase coupler?

The ideal way to track down this type of problem would be with an X10 signal meter.  If you are interested you can find many posts on signal meters by doing a search.

Good luck

Jim
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:30:53 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 02:01:30 PM »

I've had X10 devices for years and last year switched to using a CM15A USB controller/Active Home Pro.  Everything has worked great until this past weekend....
I had a similar experience about a year ago. In spite of pushing my luck with a half dozen or so UPSs and only a phase coupler at the drier but no filters, I didn't have any problems. Then one day the the great God Murphy spoke and the rains started. All of a sudden everything that use to work stopped working. I didn't have a signal tester at the time so I never could pin the problem on any one thing.

I took the boast the signal and filter everything that wasn't X10 approach  and now have a strong line signal. I now use the basic XTB boaster from JeffVolp as well filters on all my UPSs.

Even the small things like phone and laptop chargers can suck the X10 signal.

In the old days when X10 1st came out (The dark ages prior to cell phones, PCs, laptops, and big screen TVs. - Yeah I'm old enough to remember the 1st PCs and "bag phones".  ;))  you might of been able to get by without filters. It is a rare X10 home that wouldn't benefit from the use of filters in this day and age, however.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bbarton

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 07:51:39 AM »

My problems have been solved!! 

Thanks to all that offered suggestions.  I couldn't find anything new added.  Over the holidays we redecorated and changed things around a bit and even after moving things (electrical things) back to the original outlets like they were originally, the modules still wouldn't trip on/off any further than about 10 feet away from the CM15.  Researching showed that my phase coupler was no longer good.  I was using just a capacitor bought at a local store.  In searching for replacement phase couplers/amplifiers I found the Leviton HCA02-10E Coupler/Repeater.  For those unfamiliar, it is a phase coupler that receives the X10 signals and immediately turns around and sends the signals back out on both phases.  This device was around $70 and is a godsend.  I used to have to schedule two or three "off" trips for some modules and with the repeater in the circuit everything is working better than ever!  Money well spent!  It does require hard wiring into an electrical panel but is very easy to install.

Ben

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »

Interesting.

I use a 0.1 uF 250 VAC Capacitor in my stove's outlet and it's been working fine for almost 20 years.  Capacitors don't draw power, so it's very unusual to have one fail.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Saber Dog

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 01:41:02 PM »

How does one get and install one of these repeaters?

I used to run X10 about 27 years ago without concern about what circuit things were on. But now with a new set up I'm finding some units don't work. I used one of those transceiver units in a nearby outlet and picked up a few of the ones that didn't work before. I got a second interface and have the two working to control different locations. But it is a pain. I think it is at least partially a phasing thing.

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 07:20:50 PM »

My problems have been solved!! 
In searching for replacement phase couplers/amplifiers I found the Leviton HCA02-10E Coupler/Repeater.  For those unfamiliar, it is a phase coupler that receives the X10 signals and immediately turns around and sends the signals back out on both phases.  This device was around $70 and is a godsend.  I used to have to schedule two or three "off" trips for some modules and with the repeater in the circuit everything is working better than ever!  Money well spent!  It does require hard wiring into an electrical panel but is very easy to install.

Ben,
I'm coming in a bit late here but, as you've already learned, a repeater can provide a world of help to X10 signals.

Unfortunately (yep there's always on of these), the HCA02 has problems with dim commands.  Sending repeated dim commands to multiple devices can lockup the HCA02/CM15a.  If you are using dim commands in macros, make sure they are separated by a couple of seconds delay.

BTW, I've had a HCA02 for a number of years now.  My system won't operate without it.

How does one get and install one of these repeaters?

I used to run X10 about 27 years ago without concern about what circuit things were on. But now with a new set up I'm finding some units don't work. I used one of those transceiver units in a nearby outlet and picked up a few of the ones that didn't work before. I got a second interface and have the two working to control different locations. But it is a pain. I think it is at least partially a phasing thing.

Saber Dog,
Here's a link for various couplers and repeaters.

Link : Topic: [VOLUNTEERS] *Comprehensive* Filter, Passive Coupler & Signal Analyzer LINK List

The simplest is the "SignalLinc" that plugs into an existing 220V dryer outlet.  I prefer the wire in type (ACT, Leviton, X10Pro) that mount in a double wide box next to your load panel.

There are a number of repeaters that are missing from the above link.  A notable "missing" entry would be the XTB-II and XTB-IIR designed by Jeff Volp.  Jeff has a number of posts and helpfull procedures under the thread:

Link: Powerline Control Reliability
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 05:35:26 PM by Boiler »

Saber Dog

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »

Thanks

JimC

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 03:29:23 PM »

Ben,

Glad to hear you got your problem solved. The replacement coupler/repeater is certainly a step up from simply using a capacitor although many like myself have had good success with just a capacitor. Yes they, like any electronics component, do go bad.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.