Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big Red Emergency Button - NO support from X10?  (Read 2061 times)

RedIron

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Big Red Emergency Button - NO support from X10?
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »

Hi folks,

I have been having a huge headache with X10 support over the "Big Red Emergency Button".

When I first installed my X10 AHP it was there, then it was gone. I talk to X10 support they say NONE of them have it on their machines either. Suggested I use the Personal Pendant which I was able to configure ONLY if I held the button down for 5 seconds which totally precludes the use for which I intended and is not how X10 sold it to me in the first place - as a door bell.

The is the first time I have ever felt in any way that I was being given the proverbial run around by X10.

I have all of the plugins installed in AHP, yet no Big Red Button can be found in the modules. Is there anyway to get this feature added and working? What is going on here?

I'd would really appreciate anyones help with this issue. I have done reinstalls, countless telephone calls to X10, etc. I just don't understand why X10 is selling this product if you can't use it with any of their software.

I would be okay with a hack if the hack allowed it to be used as a door bell.

Thanks  very much to anyone who can help. BTW this forum is amazing by searing through hundreds of messages on here over the past few days I feel allmost like a X10 veteran because of all the generous help that the REAL veterans are willing to share. Kudos to all of you for making this such a great community.

Rod

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Big Red Emergency Button - NO support from X10?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 05:42:02 AM »

I also have all of the plugins and the big red button does not show up anywhere. I'm sure you have searched and read other posts about using the button as a door bell but here are a couple I found that you may have missed.

Topic: Door Bell Button  (Read 13431 times)

X10 Knowledge Base Wiki

Hope this helps...

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
Re: Big Red Emergency Button - NO support from X10?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:16:51 PM »

The Big Red button is really a hybrid of two different functions. When you press it momentarily, it sends an RF ON command just like any other X10 automation remote control. If you hold the button down for 5 seconds it sends a Panic command like the panic button on an X10 security remote control.

Unless you want the Panic function, you can use it as a doorbell without initializing it like a security remote. Just set it to the House/Unit code of the module you want to chime (or macro you want to run) when someone presses the doorbell. You don't really need to have it represented in AHP for this, since it's just a specialized remote control.

If you want to see it in AHP, you can add you Big Red as a motion sensor and name it "Doorbell" or something. That doesn't make the Big Red module appear in AHP like you want, but it will make it work the way you need.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.