Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ws467 not turning off with ahp or Palm pad remote  (Read 12953 times)

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
ws467 not turning off with ahp or Palm pad remote
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:38:09 PM »

There are probably threads for this already..but i am too tired to search for them(long day). my dang ws467 recieves an on command from ahp and a palm bad.. but does not get the off command. Phase is not the issue nor is noise as i have filtered the area that the switch is located. how ever i did happen to trip the breaker while running the vaccum the other and am wondering if i fried something in the wall switch.  locally the swtich works fine.ANy suggestions, tips, etc?
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: ws467 not turning off with ahp or Palm pad remote
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:49:45 PM »

Still could be a weak signal or noise. Are the lights being controlled standard ones?

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:24:44 PM »

it's a ceiling fan.. but has been working perfectly for months.. it jsut quit receiving the off command yesterday.  I also have two other lamps in the living room that work perfectly as well as some holiday lights on my banister that work great as well. I have another wall switch that conrols my outdoor light that has no problems at all. All are on the same breaker circuit and have been working for 4 months or so .
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »

To properly control a ceiling fan, use a Pro Wall Switch Appliance Module (XPDI3).  A WS467 is not suited for motors.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 12:08:15 PM »

Dan is right, a WS467 should not be used to control an inductive load. Use the XPDI3 since it is made to control (speed) of inductive loads. However that doesn't explain the sudden failure. If the button on the switch still turns the fan ON and OFF then the triac is still good so that leads back to a possible noise issue. Does fan speed have any effect on the OFF response? Turn off the Christmas lights and try it.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »

I turned off every light in the room  and tried it with ahp. On works fine but still no off.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 10:51:40 PM »

I turned off every light in the room  and tried it with ahp. On works fine but still no off.

Still attempting to use a WS467?   It's probably burned out part of the triac, so on works but off doesn't.  As Dave w pointed out, the WS467 should Never be used with an inductive load like a 3 speed fan.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 11:09:48 PM »

Still attempting to use a WS467?   It's probably burned out part of the triac, so on works but off doesn't.

Dan Lawrence,
I think you missed:
locally the swtich works fine.
Makes me think the triac is okay.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:59:51 AM »

Agreed, Bill, but the OP still needs to stop using a WS467 to control a fan.  Perhaps the fan is the noise source, which explains why on works, but off doesn't.  I have a 3-speed overhead fan in my living room, and use a XPDI3 to control it, and the XPDI3 works fine to turn the fan on and off.

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »

The switch has worked fine for about 5 months. On and Off all both worked up until a few days ago.  The only thing that has happened that I could posiblly think of is that my breaker tripped while the fan/light was on and since then the off command is not getting recieved at the switch.

Fan of Zappa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »

I had the same thing happen this weekend. I installed a florescent wall switch to control a ceiling fan fixture with pull string control and three CFLs. The lights would turn on but not off. I started troubleshooting. Turned off the lights via pull string, turned on the fan using handheld RF remote, the fan worked on AND off. Turned off the fan using pull string. Using same handheld RF remote, lights would turn on but not off. The ceiling fan downstairs has four CFLs and works fine, so I go and get one of the CFLs out of that one. Come to find out, if I use two CFLs it works just great, using three CFLs it will turn on but not off. I believe it is a filter problem. 
Fan of Zappa - His music was way before it's time and died way before his time!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 01:30:57 PM »

It could be noise from the fan itself, or a CFL (somewhere else) that is starting to go bad.
The "On" and "Off" signals are different, so it is possible that the noise will interfere with one signal and not the other.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »

Are the CFLs in the down stairs fan the same brand? I use GE 23W CFLs in a ceiling fan. When on they peg an old ESM noise meter, but X10 signals can still get through.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Fan of Zappa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »

I believe since neither fan or CFL are on when I engage the on signal, the signal is allowed to pass, but when the fan and CFL are on and I am trying to turn them off the noise from the CFLs is interfering. Without the CFLs the fan works both ways. I will try some incandescent lights until my new filters arrive. I have not checked model numbers but all of the CFLs being tested are made by GE. Thanks guys!

-Bob
Fan of Zappa - His music was way before it's time and died way before his time!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »

I believe since neither fan or CFL are on when I engage the on signal, the signal is allowed to pass, but when the fan and CFL are on and I am trying to turn them off the noise from the CFLs is interfering. Without the CFLs the fan works both ways. I will try some incandescent lights until my new filters arrive. I have not checked model numbers but all of the CFLs being tested are made by GE. Thanks guys!

-Bob
Brand might not matter. One of the CFL bulbs could be going bad, and creating the noise. Try unscrewing them one at a time, and testing if that fixes the issue.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.