Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phone controller - Cell Phone  (Read 5423 times)

UserZ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Phone controller - Cell Phone
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:45:26 PM »

Hey gang!  New to the boards, I have searched on this but there is nothing.   

I am trying to find a phone controller that can answer a cell phone, or at lease accept DTMF tones from a cell phone that has auto answer.

I have an X10 system set up in an aircraft hangar and would like to turn on electric heaters and equipment.  There is no phone line or internet in the hangar.

What I would like to do is leave a cheap cell phone there with basic service, wire a headset cable (handsfree wired) hard wired with modular plug on the one end (after cutting the headset off).

I would plug the headset cable from cell phone to say a TR16A or TR551, and program the cell phone to auto answer.  I would call the cell phone, it would answer, and therefore send signals throgh the headset cable to the TR16A allowing me controll......

Has anyone ever done this with a cell phone plugged into a Phone Controller????

Thanks a million, I hope I can help out, and get some help too  :-)

Z

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: Phone controller - Cell Phone
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:43:59 AM »

What I would like to do is leave a cheap cell phone there with basic service, wire a headset cable (handsfree wired) hard wired with modular plug on the one end (after cutting the headset off).

I would plug the headset cable from cell phone to say a TR16A or TR551, and program the cell phone to auto answer.  I would call the cell phone, it would answer, and therefore send signals throgh the headset cable to the TR16A allowing me controll......

I don't think this would work without additional equipment.  The two "TRs" are designed to respond to ringing signals on a regular (POTS) line so you need anyone of the several cell phone to POTS adapters that are available to connect your cell phone to your regular phones.  In this case you wouldn't program the cell phone to answer the call but would let the "TR" do it.  The rest of this looks doable to me at first glance.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

UserZ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »

Hey OldTimer,

Thanks!  I will do a little more research and try your setup.  Hopefully things go well !!!  I'll report back here with findings

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 12:17:33 PM »

Thanks!  I will do a little more research and try your setup.  Hopefully things go well !!!  I'll report back here with findings

Here's the address of one company that makes a universal Cell phone/POTS adapter.  http://www.phonelabs.com/

You can download an installation manual from their site which should give you all the information you need to make a decision.

If you buy the unit make sure you get it from a company that gives you a 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work in your application even though the device itself is working properly.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

skywalker1689

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »

I am researching Phone(cell/pots) and AC only solution and come across this posting.

First, get this cell, $29.99 + Sales Tax(if any), + Free Shipping + Free Head set + Free 10 minutes call time + Free $30.00 refill bonus.
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Detail.aspx?class=prepaid&device=16e03278-c4ec-4193-a7f8-ac59788a12de

Second, get this clapper, $18.99
http://www.amazon.com/Clapper-Sound-Activated-Switch-Each/dp/B0000CGKLR

Get a speaker and/or mic and plug it in the cell.
Configure cell to auto answer in silent mode.

Now call your cell and yell "clap" or just clap your hand and test this setup.

This should also work on hot tub requests.

I would recommend to hardwire a radio(not too loud) too.
So you can hear the on/off switch.

Now, I'll try to find out the cheapest way to make DTMF work in the Cell phone mode.

Here's the address of one company that makes a universal Cell phone/POTS adapter.  http://www.phonelabs.com/

You can download an installation manual from their site which should give you all the information you need to make a decision.

If you buy the unit make sure you get it from a company that gives you a 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work in your application even though the device itself is working properly.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.