Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiple PS561 Base Station Interaction  (Read 4843 times)

browserx88

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Multiple PS561 Base Station Interaction
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »

I have two X10 PS561 Base Stations installed in the same house...one upstairs, one downstairs.  Reason for two systems is to increase the number of sensors to be monitored beyond the normal constraint of 16 sensors.

What HouseCode/UnitCode considerations are recommended...should each base station be on a difference house code than the other, or should they be on the same house code?

Are there any known negative considerations to two units sharing the same house code it they are used in what effectively becomes the same system?

I currently have them on different house codes and have not yet experimented with sharing the same house code.

Utilizing different house codes, I do seem to experience undesirable interaction between upstairs motion sensors (MS310) and downstairs motion sensors.  A couple of different times, when I have had one or the other of the two systems in the "Install" mode, I have heard the familiar single "ding", signifying the installation of some component, when, in fact, I had not yet installed any particular component.  After occasional 'false alarm" occurrences, I would see that there were more components indicated in the system than I had actually (intentionally) installed.  Following at least one false alarm, the number of the component identified was at least two numbers greater than the number of components that I had installed.

Hoping for tons of replies...any and all experiences, advice, etc., regarding multiple base stations in the same household.

Thanks in advance, guys...

Jack Melano

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Multiple PS561 Base Station Interaction
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 01:29:46 AM »

Are there any known negative considerations to two units sharing the same house code it they are used in what effectively becomes the same system?

Keep them on different house codes AND isolated.  When the alarm gets tripped, both units will try to send out the all lights on/off command.  This will cause powerline collisions unless you keep them isolated from each other.  I would set them up as I have done (see the link below for a diagram). One as a master the other as a slave console.

I would also have only one (the master) plugged into your phone line else they will both try to dial out.

A couple of different times, when I have had one or the other of the two systems in the "Install" mode, I have heard the familiar single "ding", signifying the installation of some component, when, in fact, I had not yet installed any particular component.  After occasional 'false alarm" occurrences, I would see that there were more components indicated in the system than I had actually (intentionally) installed.  Following at least one false alarm, the number of the component identified was at least two numbers greater than the number of components that I had installed.

What happened is another sensor was installed when you were installing the other.  The sensors have a "report into base station" feature.  This happens automatically about once an hour but not all at the same time.  If the console is in install mode at this time, the "report into base station" sensor will get installed. When you go to install a new sensor, have someone at your ds7000 console flip to switch to install, then press the test button on the sensor.  Immediately have the person flip the switch back to run mode.

Before you install any sensor, record your outgoing message and program in the phone numbers because the sensors can install themselves at this time also.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=13487.15

browserx88

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Multiple PS561 Base Station Interaction
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »

spam4us...
     Hey...great information...I'll start applying this stuff as soon as possible...I don't yet know how to set one as master, one as slave, but I'll start reviewing the manual.
     X10 is certainly very quirky...full of pitfalls and traps...I don't believe that I'll ever become proficient in its management, but with the help of you guys in the forum, I'll at least be able to keep my head above the water.
    Thanks again...

Jack Melano

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.