Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Store camera quality?  (Read 2976 times)

maz99

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Store camera quality?
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »

I'm in the midst of starting up a small electronics shop I was thinking about installing some cameras. However, from an image quality perspective do instore cameras really help identify possible thieves if they happen to successfully steal something or do they really act more of a deterrant for theives?

Does anyone know of any statistics or methods to make cameras more concealed for better views of traffic areas, or is there some methods that some bigger places use like Best Buy or Target or the like that can afford numerous cameras but deploy them effectivly?

Thanks for any advice

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Store camera quality?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »

I have worked retail.... and at one time in a mall that had "state-of-the-art" surveillance. I can tell you that persons most watched are employee's. Most "inventory loss" as it is called.. is lost from backrooms. Cash disappears at the register.

A couple well placed (and easy to spot) cameras in the store will deter the impulsive thief.

Other cameras should be directly over cash exchanges (and counting), back/stock rooms, watching backdoors, trash containers/dumpsters and parking areas. The most comman employee method of thief is to take merchandise out to the dumpster. Then a friend will "rumage" through the trash later... and find the "accidentally" disposed of items.

For a small operation... a locked dumpster, and controlled trash removal... and emergency exit only backdoor, could do more to reduce loss than any camera.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.