Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiple Lights with Switches  (Read 2752 times)

ddelucia

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Multiple Lights with Switches
« on: December 15, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »

I have 3 lights with 3 separate switches. They are floor 1-3 in the hall. What I want to do is hit 1 switch and turn on all 3 lights and be able to control them from any floor. I do not know where to start or if x10 can do this. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Boiler

Re: Multiple Lights with Switches
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:17:53 PM »

I have 3 lights with 3 separate switches. They are floor 1-3 in the hall. What I want to do is hit 1 switch and turn on all 3 lights and be able to control them from any floor. I do not know where to start or if x10 can do this. Can someone point me in the right direction.

ddelucia,

Welcome to the forum.  I apologize that we haven't gotten back to you sooner.

Allow me to re-state your post to make sure I understand things correctly:
  • You have lights in hallways on 3 separate floors
  • You want any switch to be capable of activating the lights on all three floors

This is doable with X10, but it may require devices other than "X10 brand".

The questions (yeah there's always questions):
  • You mentioned hallways. Are these 3-way installations (2 or more switches controlling the same light)?
  • Do you need all of your switches to control all of the lights, or would you accept 3-button controllers (one on each floor) for separately controlling the different floors?
  • Is this a one time fix, or are you planning on diving into home automation?

There are many ways of accomplishing what you are asking.  Answers to the above will help "narrow down the field" a bit.  We can then start presenting options.

Boiler

ddelucia

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:18:54 PM »

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

To answer your question:
1. No they are not 3 way. They are 3 lights with 3 separate switches.

2. Either way. It would be easier to hit 1 switch but if it needs 3 switches on each floor it would also do.

3. For the moment it is a one time fix, but I would like to get into automation in the future.

I am not a stranger to this type of technology, I am a technology manager by trade, I just don't have enough info for this type of technology yet and want to learn. I am also trying to keep the budget low since I do not have alot of money for this project right now.

Thanks for any input

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

To answer your question:
1. No they are not 3 way. They are 3 lights with 3 separate switches.

2. Either way. It would be easier to hit 1 switch but if it needs 3 switches on each floor it would also do.

3. For the moment it is a one time fix, but I would like to get into automation in the future.

I am not a stranger to this type of technology, I am a technology manager by trade, I just don't have enough info for this type of technology yet and want to learn. I am also trying to keep the budget low since I do not have alot of money for this project right now.

OK, we've narrowed the field quite a bit.
  • You have three switch locations.  Each switch controls a lamp
  • You wish to have each of these switches control two other switches located on different floors/circuits

There are a number of ways of achieving this with 2-way switches, automation controllers, and software.  Two way switches can receive commands and transmit their status to a controller.  Since you mentioned that you have a budget we'll table that option for now.

Another option would be to use switches that can communicate directly with one another.  Using this technique you can set up a "virtual" circuit where manually activating one switch causes it to communicate with others and turn them on/off.

At present, I only know of two product lines that can accomplish this:
  • Smarthome Insteon/x10 switches (Switchlinc and Togglelinc).  I have been growing my installation of Insteon switches over the past two years.
  • Leviton Vizia Rf switches.  I do not have direct experience with the Vizia Rf line.  As implied, these units communicate via Rf rather then using the powerline.

Leviton may also have X10 compatible 2-way switches that can accomplish this.  Forum members - some help please!  Does Leviton make a X10 2-way switch that can communicate directly with another load capable switch?

Since my experience lies with the Insteon switches, I'll address those.  These switches can operate in both X10 and Insteon mode.  The switches are quite a bit more expensive than X10 brand units.  Still less expensive than the Vizia line.  The process for using these switches for either mode would be as follows:

X10 Mode communication -
  • Program all three switches with the same X10 Address.  You will need a X10 controller (mini controller or similar) to program the address into the switches.
  • A button press on any of your three switches will send an X10 ON/OFF command through the powerline and activate/deactivate the other two switches.

Insteon Mode communication -
  • Perform an Insteon cross link (explained in the manual) between all three switches.  No controller is required to program - units are "tap linked"
  • A button press on any of your three switches will send an Insteon On/Off/Dim/Bright command through the powerline and activate/deactivate the other two switches.

Other things to consider -
Both X10 and Insteon communication will have problems crossing the "phases" in your home.  If at all possible, determine whether your lamps are all on the same phase (optimal).  If they are not on the same phase, you may need a X10 coupler or Insteon Accesslinc Rf coupler ($$). 

Appliances, TV's, Computers, Compact fluorescents can generate noise or absorb both X10 and Insteon signals.  If you have enough devices, in the wrong places, they can affect even a small installation.

I'm going to be "offline" for a period of time.  Hopefully another forum member can provide other alternatives or answer questions you may have.

Boiler

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.