Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nothing Turns On or Off But could I have a BAD CM15A controller?  (Read 2757 times)

southside123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

???

Have a problem AHP has been working fine for a couple weeks but all of a sudden nothing works I can't turn anything on or off.
My CM15A is being recognized when I plug the USB in. Also my activity log shows that modules get the commands, but yet
nothing happens!!!! What could be wrong, I try-ed everything.... plugging the CM15A into another outlet, change USB ports, took out the battery's and unplug the unit. Replugged back in, Nothing? Can anybody help.......!!!!!!! Think I have a bad CM15A :o

Thanks  :P

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Nothing Turns On or Off But could I have a BAD CM15A controller?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:06:40 AM »

...........Also my activity log shows that modules get the commands, but yet nothing happens!!!! ...........

One more test you could conduct:  Would be move a module to the same outlet as the CM11A and see if you can operate the module then.

If a new device (maybe a Christmas present) is adding noise to your line... or maybe sucking the signal up before it is reaching your X10 device(s) now. Then the module in the same outlet (as the CM15A) will work. Tracking down the offender... is a different thread.

If your CM15A is defective... call X10. They will gladly walk you through the process for a replacement.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

zach1234

Re: Nothing Turns On or Off But could I have a BAD CM15A controller?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »

Try what dave said then change your house codes.
Sometimes the device that is causing problems isn't generating too much noise, but instead is absorbing the X10 signal and making it weaker (or be both generating noise and absorbing the X10 signal). This is typically caused by a Noise Trap. Fortunately using a the proper type of noise filter will also resolve this problem, so for the purpose of this article we will lump Powerline Noise and Signal Absorption together as the same problem even though they have their differences. A power supply is needed to convert the 120VAC that is in your house to the low voltages needed by electronic equipment. Traditionally a transformer was used to do this since they are easy to build. Transformers are very friendly when it comes to X10. Not only do they not generate any powerline noise, but they are inductive in nature meaning they provide a small load on the X10 signal and help filter some of the noise generated by the device from flowing back onto the powerline.

Transformers have some drawbacks though. If the device needs a lot of power, the transformer needed is big, heavy and expensive. Also they are not very efficient (you will notice that a lot of power supplies will get warm and heat is the product of wasted electricity).

Because of these disadvantages, many devices use switching power supplies. They are smaller, lighter and more energy efficient. For small power supplies, there is little cost benefit for using switching power supplies, but larger switching power supplies are much cheaper when compared to a transformer. For this reason computers have used switching power supplies for a long time. With new environmental regulations, more and more devices will start to use switching power supplies.

From an X10 perspective, switching power supplies are not as good. Not only are they not inductive in nature, but they will either generate noise on the powerline or have filtering capacitors which suck up the X10 signal. Newer designs are better than some of the older ones and sometimes replacing the powersuply is a better option than using a noise filter (or do both).

Some devices that use switching power supplies include (but are not limited to): PCs, Flat Panel TVs and Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs).

INFO from http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Noise%2C_Noise_Filters_and_Automatic_Gain_Control

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.