Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Initiating a macro from another macro  (Read 6127 times)

ditylmb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Initiating a macro from another macro
« on: December 23, 2007, 02:22:55 PM »

I would like to initiate macros in my CM15A from all over my house with my KR22A.  The problem is the KR22A doesn't have enough range to do that from more than about 20 feet from the CM15A.  My thought was to use either a TM751 or RR501 transceiver to send a powerline command to the CM15A and then have the CM15A execute a simple "relay" macro that would call the macro I really want called, but I can't seem to make this work.  Either the CM15A won't execute a macro in repsonse to a transceived powerline command (from the TM751 or RR501) or it won't execute one macro from within another macro (by running that as a module within that macro) or both.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do this?

Thanks,

Cavid

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: Initiating a macro from another macro
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 04:24:11 PM »

I would like to initiate macros in my CM15A from all over my house with my KR22A.  The problem is the KR22A doesn't have enough range to do that from more than about 20 feet from the CM15A.  My thought was to use either a TM751 or RR501 transceiver to send a powerline command to the CM15A and then have the CM15A execute a simple "relay" macro that would call the macro I really want called, but I can't seem to make this work.  Either the CM15A won't execute a macro in repsonse to a transceived powerline command (from the TM751 or RR501) or it won't execute one macro from within another macro (by running that as a module within that macro) or both.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do this?

David:  There are several questions here.

First there is a difference between the TM751 and RR501 as to how the outlet on the device is controled.  The outlet on the the TM751 doesn't respond to power lline commands while the outelt on the RR501 does.  That should not be a problem in your case.

Second, both the power line command sent out via the TM751 or the RR501 to the CM15A from the KR22A should be able to trigger a macro on the CM15A at the same address the KR22A is set to.  I'm doing it with an RR501 from both a KR22A and and infra red detector.

Third, if the macro with the KR22A address is not the one you want to trigger then it should contain a dummy module with the address of the address you do want to trigger.  Do a search on the formum for "dummy modules".

Let us know how you make out.

Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

ditylmb

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:27:25 AM »

Thanks so much for your response.  I tried doing what you suggested (triggering a macro on the CM15A sent out via the TM751 or RR501 in response to a KR22A RF command), but it doesn't work.  When I push the button on the KR22A I can see the command come through on the ActiveHome Pro activity monitor and the Macro icon blinks, but it apparently doesn't execute the macro (i.e., nothing happens).  If I alter things so the CM15A listens directly to the KR22A, then it works (I see the commands come through the activity monitor and the appropriate lights come on/go off).  I also tried constructing a macro with a dumyy module, but that doesn't work.  If I click on the macro in ActiveHome Pro or initiate it via a KR22A RF command, it doesn't work.  I'd like to do exactly what you're doing, but I'm not sure what's wrong.  Is there some setting I may be missing?  It appears that my CM15A responds to direct RF commands, but it doesn't seem to respond to powerline commands.  And I also can't seem to get ActiveHome Pro to initiate one macro from another by using the "dummy module" technique.  Thanks again for your help.  It's very much appreciated!

David

ditylmb

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 11:57:02 AM »

Well, I found a couple of problems.  First off, I found that my RR501 at times goes completely nuts and broadcasts powerline commands repeatedly, and the only way to stop it is to unplug it.  I presume this indicates it's bad.  Secondly, I noted that some users had mentioned problems with macros that failed to execute and their resolution was to delete and re-create those macros.  I did that and, lo and behold, it works.  I can now call a macro from another macro.  The problem is, it seems to take forever to execute.  So it seems like both the CM15A and the ActiveHome Pro software are less than 100% reliable.  I'm inclined to try the Insteon equivalents, and see how those work.

Regards,

David

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.