Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modified - Random chime problem  (Read 5771 times)

tmgrant

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Modified - Random chime problem
« on: December 23, 2007, 11:55:54 PM »

Mine has not caused a false alarm yet, that's the funny thing. I have used it daily and nightly in both modes since installing it with no false alarms. I think it only does it when a door is left open, but I need to do more research to be sure. P.S. I keep it in the chime mode at all times.

I have a new X10 security system. Every once in a while I get a random chime as if someone has opened a door when nobody has. Does anyone know what is causing this? Will it cause the alarm to go off if it happens when I'm not home?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 05:34:48 PM by tmgrant »

zach1234

Re: Random chime problem
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:15:26 AM »

Most likely (and Possible) a nabor has the same system. Or interference. Hopefully your alarm is not set to call (911 or emergency services). It shouldn't do anything bad.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:44:18 AM »

tmgrant: Yes it could trigger an alarm!
 If you have motion sensors check them make sure no direct sunlight can hit them!
Check your door/window sensors for prober spacing!
Your going to have to walk over your setup and find the offending module unless you don't mind false alarms or a low WAF! ;)
I removed all my motion sensors from the cottage due to the fact that too many things could trigger them! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:33:22 AM »

...unless you don't mind false alarms or a low WAF!...
Frequent false alarms also lead to low neighborhood approval. The last thing you want is someone breaking into your house while all you neighbors think your house is just "crying wolf" again. Also multiple false alarm calls to 911, automated or by you, in many areas will result in fines.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

jcbobeda

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 09:22:21 AM »

I have a new X10 security system. Every once in a while I get a random chime as if someone has opened a door when nobody has. Does anyone know what is causing this? Will it cause the alarm to go off if it happens when I'm not home?

I also have a new system and have the same problem. Apparently, The random chime occurs when one or more of my doors is open. When I connect the system at night in "At Home" mode (with motion sensors OFF), I haven't had a false alarm yet.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Modified - Random chime problem
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 09:10:53 PM »

Mine has not caused a false alarm yet, that's the funny thing. I have used it daily and nightly in both modes since installing it with no false alarms. I think it only does it when a door is left open, but I need to do more research to be sure. P.S. I keep it in the chime mode at all times.

Yeah!! me too! Ive noticed this on my ds7000 console fortunately I had a backup unit. I installed my backup system in the same outlet and the chiming stopped!!! so in my humble opinion you might have a defective unit, if you can try hooking up another unit maybe a friend has a extra one and the chiming stops well then that would confirm it. That was months ago and I haven't heard it again since! Say try this though change the outlet you're using and see if it's persists, I was checking out some other equipment I ordered and used the ds7000 that was giving me the problems now this isn't scientific but after moving it downstairs I haven't heard the chime go figure, still think there might be something wrong with it because when I switched units the problem went away. You know I was going to post the same question if the new one hadn't resolved the problem hope this helps.

Tom j

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.