Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Defective WS467?  (Read 20848 times)

Jason B

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Defective WS467?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »

Ohh, didn't know there was one inside the unit. Cool. I really don't  know much about amps. All I know is I have a 24" monitor, printer, mini stereo system, paper shredder, phone, router/cable modem, plugged into it. Now idea what type of amps I'm drawing. I'll probably go with that 15 amp. It's even less expensive than the 10amp. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »

Yes and it has an external fuse. Not that I think you would ever get close to 15 amps. The 10 amp FilterLinc has a soldered in fuse internally.

Jason B

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »

After a little more messing around, I found that if I plug the monitor straight into a wall socket, the issue goes away, so maybe it really is the monitor iteself causing this.

Even weirder, I have a rommba robot vacuum in another room which was plugged in yesterday when I had everything working, now everything doesn't work unless I unplug it now. Strange how this was plugged in yesterday and it everything worked. I may need a few of these.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »

The filter in the UPS will most likely absorb X10 signals as it is not tuned to not mess up the X10 120KHz line transmissions.

The rommba charger maybe making noise or absorbing the signals. The difference between days could be how charged the battery was as the load on the charger may change the noise it makes.

Jason B

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »

Brian, need your help again. I've hooked up some WS4777, 3 ways, and so far so good. But now I'm in the kitchen and the existing switch has 4 wires on it, 2 red, and 2 black, instead of 3. Not sure why. The other 3 ways had 3 wires, and a ground, this one has 4 wires and a ground. The WS4777 only has 3 wires coming out of it. Not sure what to do. This switch can be controlled from 2 other places, plus the master.

EDIT, nevermind, I found out that you jus cap off the 2nd black wire and it won't be used.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:21:26 PM by Jason B »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 07:21:05 PM »

That is a four way switch setup.

You will need an added CS277 to use all the positions. I guess you could also jump the travelers going through one of the boxes to bypass one position. If you do that ask for more help so the correct pairs are tied together.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/instructions/4-way-wiring.pdf

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »

Even weirder, I have a rommba robot vacuum in another room which was plugged in yesterday when I had everything working, now everything doesn't work unless I unplug it now. Strange how this was plugged in yesterday and it everything worked. I may need a few of these.
Brian H nailed this with his answer, but having seven Roombas, let me buttress his answer.

After a mission and Roomba docks, the charger is in high charge rate mode and your power button is doing the slow orange flash. When the charger switches to the trickle charge mode the button switches to green. The different modes create different levels of noise from the charger.  I have a high output repeater so have never experienced a Roomba related X10 signal problem, but know from the noise a wireless speaker located in the same room as one of the Roombas that the chargers are very noisy. They crank out 22V at 3 amp, so it isn't surprising.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Jason B

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »

You will need an added CS277 to use all the positions. I guess you could also jump the travelers going through one of the boxes to bypass one position. If you do that ask for more help so the correct pairs are tied together.

Thanks, Hmm, I have the ws4777 hooked up at the spot where there were 4 wires, 2 black, 2 red. I capped off one of the blacks. And I have the two CS277's at the other spots, where there are 3 wires. I just turned the power back on and none will turn the lights on from these switches. What am I doing wrong now?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:59:39 PM by Jason B »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »

You have the Master in the center position where the four way DPDT switch was that switched the travelers.
The companions at each end. One is probably the feed end and the other the load end.

I will have to think on this, but I know we have a few electricians that frequent here and may have more information for you.

Jason B

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »

I put the master in the center mainly because aesthetically it looks better beside the ws467's in the same box, but maybe I can't have the master there.

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »

The wire diagrams show exactly where the master should be, some show near the line for switches without the neutral. Others show near the load with the neutral. The diagram should be followed precisely, or the master will not receive the signal properly.
M M ElectricMan

Jason B

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »

Thanks, Hmm, I have the ws4777 hooked up at the spot where there were 4 wires, 2 black, 2 red. I capped off one of the blacks. And I have the two CS277's at the other spots, where there are 3 wires. I just turned the power back on and none will turn the lights on from these switches. What am I doing wrong now?

Ok, I got it to work, and put the companion in the middle. I took the two red wires from the box and wired nutted them with the red wire from the companion, and then put the blue wires from the companion to each of the blacks from the box. I'm new at this so thanks for helping. I had to mess with the wires in the middle a couple different ways to get it. Everything is working now, so I'm assuming I did something right, or it wouldn't work.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 06:25:26 AM »

:)% Sounds like you got it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 07:52:58 AM »

Ohh, didn't know there was one inside the unit. Cool. I really don't  know much about amps. All I know is I have a 24" monitor, printer, mini stereo system, paper shredder, phone, router/cable modem, plugged into it. Now idea what type of amps I'm drawing. I'll probably go with that 15 amp. It's even less expensive than the 10amp. :)
You might not want the paper shredder in the mix especially if it is direcly line powered (no giant wall wart). Their current draw is fairly high, especially if you accidently stall it.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Jason B

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 01:22:49 PM »

Thanks! Now, couldn't I just put plug the monitor into the filter, then plug the filter into the APC? IF I put the filter at the outlet, I'm worries about it's being too much current, as it would have to supply the whole APC and the other 6 items plugged in.

Back to my issue with my 24" monitor plugged into my UPS... Is there a way I can now before hand if I could just plug this into one of the outlets in the UPS, then plug the monitor into this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-PRO-XPPF-Plug-In-Filter-120-VAC-X10-Troubleshooting_W0QQitemZ170564212385QQcategoryZ94879QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4882678648661711398
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.