Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lukwerks powerline cameras  (Read 78782 times)

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
Lukwerks powerline cameras
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »

I got an e-mail ad from Smarthome for a camera system that sends the video signals over the powerline to your computer.  Plug the camera into your AC anywhere, and the receiver goes into your USB and the AC. (no powerstrips or suppressors)
I went to the site and they say their signal frequency is in a different range than X10's. so they don't expect any problems.
I read a lot of reviews, and it looks pretty good. Best Buy had the lowest price($284) for the starter kit camera and software.
I'm thinking about trying it, I was curious if anyone else had.

The site is wilife.com

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:19:41 AM by dahur »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Lukwerks powerline cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »

I got an e-mail ad from Smarthome for a camera system......................

The site is wilife.com

I haven't heard of them before... but they sure have an impressive Site!!!

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »

Dave -- Boy, I agree.  It's looks impressive.

dahur -- I looked on eBay http://search.ebay.com/WiLife-Security_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQdfspZ1QQfromZR40QQssPageNameZRC0022?_trksid=p1638.m120
You can get a "Buy It Now" for only $199.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 01:49:09 PM »

They sure do look impressive. Somewhere I seen a spotlight camera. The camera is built into a 150 watt spotlight bulb housing. You screw it into a spotlight socket and it transmits video back to a receiver over the power line.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 07:42:10 PM »

Here's a link to the camera that KDR was referring to :
http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Video/secureview/
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dahur

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:43:59 PM »

Here's a review of the Lukwerks outdoor powerline camera.
This could have been an easy install, but I spent a couple hours with it. The culprit was my Sygate Firewall. Even though I clicked "yes" when prompted to allow "Werks"  access, I couldn't get a connection until I shut down the firewall. As soon as I did, the picture from the camera popped right in. I was really concerned about it working with my X10.  After the connection was made with the camera and my computer, I went around the house with my X10 remote. Everything functioned as it should. I then operated my x10 devices, while watching the picture, and I couldn't see any glitches  in the picture. I only have the one camera right now, so I can't test it with multiple cameras putting signals on the powerline.  But so far, it works really good.  No apparent noise or signal sucking problems. 
You set how much hard drive space you want to allocate for recording, and by default it records when motion is detected. You can have anything on the screen activate motion recording, or the thing I like, is you can draw boxes around the spots you want it to detect and record. Then you can adjust the sensitivity in that box. Outside of the box(you can draw up to 16), and it won't record. You can set it up to send you an e-mail when it detects motion. It can send you text, a video snapshot, or a video clip of the motion.  Another feature I like, is when viewing a recorded clip, you can right-click it, and it asks you if you want to e-mail that clip to someone.
I haven't had a chance to try remote viewing from another computer yet.
It's dark outside, and I still have a viewable picture.
I think it's a good product, and I am going to purchase additional cameras for it.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:45:54 PM by dahur »

Don N

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:28:47 PM »

dahur -- Would you give us a snapshoot of the what the image looks like through the Lukwerks camera.  What is your X10 environment?  Since the Lukwerks camera goes directly to the PLC, what are you using to retrieve the image?  I'm really interested in this camera, so any details on your setup would be appreciated.

dahur

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »

dahur -- Would you give us a snapshoot of the what the image looks like through the Lukwerks camera.  What is your X10 environment?  Since the Lukwerks camera goes directly to the PLC, what are you using to retrieve the image?  I'm really interested in this camera, so any details on your setup would be appreciated.

I will post a picture of what I'm getting tomorrow when it's light out.  But here is a picture of what it gets at night. I have two Hawkeye motion sensors. 6 wall switches, 5 lamp and appliance modules, 4 Powerflash's.  I tested each and every one, they are all working with the camera going.  The Lukwerks kit comes with 1 camera, the software, and 1 USB reciever unit, and USB cord.  The camera has 400MGZ processor that compresses the video, sends it on the AC powerline to the receiver that is also plugged into the AC and your USB on the PC. This is what retrieves the image. Every AC plug I tried the camera in sent a picture back to my computer with no problems. It only works on Windows systems at this time per Lukwerks.
 Each camera you add(up to 6),  requires more horsepower, so you will need to check out the system requirements before getting this kit.
I notice that when I minimize it down, and leave it there for a couple minutes, when I put it back, it takes 15 or 20 seconds for the program to start up again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:18:30 PM by dahur »

slipdisc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »

I got an e-mail ad from Smarthome for a camera system......................

The site is wilife.com

I haven't heard of them before... but they sure have an impressive Site!!!

Thursday, November 8, 2007
Logitech Buys WiLife

Fremont-based Logitech said today that it has acquired WiLIfe, a Utah-based provider of PC-based video monitoring products. The deal was worth $24M plus performance-based earn out. WiLife develops systems that allow consumers to monitor their homes or small businesses using Internet cameras. Logitech said that the acquisition would complement its growing presence in the digital home area. Logitech said that it does not expect the impact of the acquisition to be material to its current fiscal year results.
http://www.silicontap.com/logitech_buys_wilife/s-0012206.html

dahur

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »

Here's a daytime shot

Don N

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 08:34:38 PM »

dahur -- Thanks for the two pictures (nightime and daytime).  Very good quality and detail for both.  I'm really impressed with the nightime image.  From the image you provided, it looks like there is just one street light on the far corner.  It's almost as clear as the daytime image.  Thanks for the info ... I gave you a helpful.

I need to find out more about the indoor camera. 

dahur

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »

I have recently expanded my system to five cameras.  Over the last month, I have become very familiar with the software and cameras, and effects with my X10 network.  Actually, there have been no effects with my X10 devices and the Lukwerks system.  My X10 has been running at 100% for 3 or 4 months now. The only anomaly I have had is my BVC program occasionally stops functioning.  All of a sudden it can no longer respond to the commands being sent.  I can get it to answer me, but it won't control anything X10. It might work fine for 4 or 5 days, or just one day. Restarting the computer always corrects this. I never had this problem until I installed the Lukwerks, so it must have something to do with that.
Camera # 4 in the picture is an indoor camera I recently got. It has a suction cup which attaches to the window, and lens you can manually focus.  It also comes with a stand, and a ceiling mount. There is a slight distortion of going through a window that obviously needs to be cleaned.
 Last fall we had a break in here. He forced the poolroom window on the deck side of the house. We didn't have the window locked over the kitchen sink, and once in the poolroom, he simply lifted up that window and crawled in. I have the camera that looks like a clock,  covering the sink window, and sliding doors now. He got about $50 in change, and fortunately, didn't damage anything, ( other than the poolroom window).  I have a steel door on my bedroom which I always lock when I leave. There was an noticeable dent at the bottom where he tried to kick it in, but was unsuccessful. I have a motion sensor on the basement steps ledge that triggers a BVC wav that says "welcome" through the basement speaker. I've always wondered if that spooked him, because all he took was the change.  This is my first layer of security. Even though there's very low crime where I'm at, I'm planning on adding others.
March 3, 2008
I purchased a 48 led IR illuminator on E-Bay to see how sensitive these cameras are to IR.  On the kitchen (the "spy"/clock) camera, I turned off every light in the house so the kitchen was pitch black. The monitor just showed black. When I plugged in the IR illuminator, it lit up the kitchen very good on the monitor. Not like daylight, but enough to see someones features.  My kitchen is normally quite dark with no lights on, but you can see the illumination I'm getting from the IR illuminator in the picture I posted. It's more enhanced when it's completely dark. You can't see this illumination with the naked eye, only on the monitor. On the indoor camera and outdoor camera, I had limited success. If I pointed the illuminator at the camera, it shows up as a bright white light. But it didn't do much for illuminating the surroundings. I ordered a 140 led illuminator, and should have that this week. Both models are 850 nm. The Wilife site says you can get a IR lens for the indoor model to make it more sensitive, but as of yet, they don't have anything for the outdoor one.
I'd like to add, I've had 4 or 5 opportunities to try out the remote viewing from other computers.  And it works real good.. It's kind of cool being 100 (or thousands) miles away, yet able to take a look at your house if you want.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:53:21 AM by dahur »

dahur

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »

I have that system too. And all I have to say is WOOOOOOOOW. The picture is so crisp. The only thing is the outdoor lens cover gets wet you cant really see from it. With a x10 cam the water kind of goes out of view.

I've never had any problems with the picture from my two outdoor cameras. But they're kind of protected by being under the eve, and out of direct contact with water.
I agree that it puts out a very good picture. I'm glad you've had success with it also.

philliec

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »

Dahur,

This is why we keep coming back to this forum day after day. Thank you so much for this thread. This is exactly what I have been looking for and am will purchase this new product immediately based on your suggestions.

The x10 wireless cams are ok, but in the 2.4 GHz range there is just too much competing bandwidth.

1) Wireless router
 Channel 11 2449.5 MHz - 2474.5 MHz 

2) x10 Freq for channels A-D
Channel A: 2.411 GHz
Channel B: 2.434 GHz
Channel C: 2.453 GHz
Channel D: 2.473 GHz

3) Cordless phone: 2402 MHz to 2480 MHz

5) Swann Camera
Channel 1: 2.414 GHz

This new camera option avoids all of this, and the images that you have included look great.

Thanks
Craig

dahur

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 11:34:41 AM »

Your welcome! 

If you have any questions at all, I'll do my best to answer them.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.