Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ninja / pan & tilt wont work from desktop  (Read 29859 times)

jeholla

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Ninja / pan & tilt wont work from desktop
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »

I have two ninja pan & tilt cameras, the V11a video capture plugged into the back of my Window xp computer, the pan & tilt pro software installed and cannot get either of my cameras to pan & tilt from the desktop. I have tried on both the AHP software and the pan & tilt pro software. I am receiving the pictures, but cannot rotate the camera's. I can rotate one of the cameras with my cr14a remote. The other one will rotate when I get closer to it. I have tried setting up both the tm751 and the pat01 transceivers close to both cameras and still cannot get them to rotate from the desktop.

X-10 told me I had to buy the pan & tilt pro software to make this happen, but all I see different with the pan & tilt pro software is that it broadcast the signal across the internet. I cant get them to rotate with the view in that software either. The Pan & tilt software came with a cm19a rf  pc transceiver, but it does not appear to be doing anything.

Can anyone help me get these cameras rotating from my desktop?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Ninja / pan & tilt wont work from desktop
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 08:07:29 PM »

In order for the X10 software to work(pan&tilt the cams) the CM19A must be plugged into the PC as well! ;)
In the software should be a option to set up firecracker (AHP doesn't have this option)!
In the test option set the house code to that of your TM751 and the unit code 1 pressing the ON command should result in the TM751 clicking ON if it is OFF!
Note: I don't think you have the AHP software possibly the ActiveHome (old software used with the CM11A)
AHP comes with a CM15A which acts like the CM19A only it has A transceiver built in so no TM751 is needed! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jeholla

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:55:49 AM »

I have the Active Home Pro, CM15a plugged into the usb in the back of the computer. I have the firecracker into a front usb. I tried the setting you said and I cannot get the ninja bases to rotate from the desktop. Is there a software that I am missing from x-10?

Thanks in advance.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »

First off you don't need both the CM19a and the CM15A pluged in they will conflict with each other!
Second if you have AHP running no other X10 software that I've tested will run 100%  :(
Which X10 Software do you wish to run, AHP (Newest Software) and the Cam plug-in or the pan & tilt software?
I'm not sure if the Pan&tilt software will work with the CM15A but it should!(Newest Hardware)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jeholla

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »

I would prefer to just run the cm15a -ahp. When I "added" the ninja camera to the ahp desktop, it has the buttons to pan and tilt the cameras, and switch from camera to camera. I just experimented with what I thought could be a distance problem. One camera is about 125 ft from my computer, the other about 50. To use the v11a video capture and v36a receiver, I moved the reciever to my attic about 80 ft from my computer and ran a rca video wire (supplied by x-10) to my v11a. That allowed me to get a fairly decent video signal. I just moved one of the ninja cameras to the same room as my computer and was able to pan and tilt the camera from the ahp desktop. It appears now that my issue is the distance that the rf has to travel to rotate the camera.

Two questions: do the transcievers help with the distance on the pan & tilt or how else can I increase the rf distance?

The other is would a passive coupler help? I dont currently use one, as the lights I have near my camera can be turned on and off from the ahp desktop.

Could relocating the cm15a into the attic nearer the cameras work better (then run a 75 to 100 ft usb cable back to the computer)?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 05:56:55 PM »

Two questions: do the transcievers help with the distance on the pan & tilt or how else can I increase the rf distance?

No!
Transceivers convert RF to PoweLine Commands (PLC) the pan& tilts respond to RF signals! However a repeater may work for this! ;)
The other is would a passive coupler help? I dont currently use one, as the lights I have near my camera can be turned on and off from the ahp desktop.
Although couplers are beneficial in X10 setups they work only for PLC!
So the answer again is No!
Could relocating the cm15a into the attic nearer the cameras work better (then run a 75 to 100 ft usb cable back to the computer)?
Yes!
The advertised  RF range for the CM15A is 100 ft! Some users experience more but most users report extremely less! :(
Locating your CM15A to the highest location will improve RF range to a point, as will the other suggestions mentioned here: ActiveHome Pro Range Problems
Of coarse you'll need to experiment to find your RF range and the proper antenna placement!
Many users have experimented with long USB cable runs with good success! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jeholla

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »

I am going to purchase usb cable extensions to relocate the cm15a. I was able to get one of the ninja's rotating by moving it closer the the computer room, so I do believe that is my problem.

Any thoughts an were to purchase a usb cable 100 ft long or can it be converted to cat 5 cable for the extension.

I noticed another issue this morning. My ninja camera farthest from the computer room cause all of the other cameras to be poor video quality. When I unplug the power supply, I get great video from the other four cameras. I have tried changing where the power supply is plugged in and changed the house code and number code to several different combinations with no luck. It appears that that power supply is not "turning off" when I chose to go to another camera, thus overpowering the signals from which ever camera I select. Any thoughts?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

Any thoughts an were to purchase a usb cable 100 ft long or can it be converted to cat 5 cable for the extension.

USB Extender via CAT5

yurizhi

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »

Be sure that when you go to 'options' 'add' cameras , they must be the ninja icon, not the standard cam.  I did not add proper cam and HAD the same prob. SOLVED NOW !!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.