Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does "All lights on" module flip everything on?  (Read 6910 times)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
Does "All lights on" module flip everything on?
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:54:15 AM »

I'm not home - and will run this down when I get there - but:
I'm working on some macros to flash the back light when my wife arms or disarms with her keychain.  If it's daytime, turn the lights D7&D8 on, wait 2 seconds and turn them off.  If it's nighttime, turn them off, wait, turn them back on.
The lights, macros, and phantoms are in the same room, "Outside" - there's a FloodCam (C1) also in that same room.

As Puck & Tuicemen have taught, conditional macros need PHANTOMS - else they don't work - so...

I made macro "Ev-Arm" that turns phantom P10 on, when security trigger Ev's KeyChain transmits an "Arm-Instant". - and that works.
I made another macro, "Ev-Arm#2-Day" - with a trigger of P10-on,  and CONDITION = Daytime.  If true, module "ALL Lights ON" is set to ON. - then there's a 2-second delay and module "All Lights ON" is set to OFF.  Another 2 second delay and P10 is set to OFF.

All of that works - sometimes.
There's an "Ev-Arm#2-Night" - that has never worked.
I have another set of macros using Phantom P11 for the disarm sequence & the daytime macro works sometimes, the nighttime one never has.

It seems that everything in room "OUTSIDE" is turned ON & OFF, including the PHANTOMS (appliance modules) AND Macros!  The FloodCam gets an OFF command because there's a Macro (P13-on) who's sole purpose is to turn off the FloodCam.
I'm going to try changing the "All lights" module to individual modules - and I'm going to experiment with room grouping.  I don't think it should, and I can't understand why an "All lights/Units" command should trigger a macro (the P13-on) - there's nothing on that address and no phantom using it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:  When/if macros start acting squirrely, make sure the trigger is still what you set.  "Ev's Arm" macro's trigger was set to "Ev's KeyChain" as the device, but "unknown" as the condition this morning as I was "exercising" it.  Had to actually change the condition to "disarm" - save - then change it back to "Arm Instant" to get that condition recognized.   Just an FYI.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure there's a bit of logic in here somewhere......

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Does "All lights on" module flip everything on?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:34:06 AM »

As Puck & Tuicemen have taught, conditional macros need PHANTOMS - else they don't work - so...

You don't need Phantom Modules for conditional macros, they just help to organize and control more complex macros.  ;)

I made macro "Ev-Arm" that turns phantom P10 on, when security trigger Ev's KeyChain transmits an "Arm-Instant". - and that works.
I made another macro, "Ev-Arm#2-Day" - with a trigger of P10-on,  and CONDITION = Daytime.  If true, module "ALL Lights ON" is set to ON. - then there's a 2-second delay and module "All Lights ON" is set to OFF.  Another 2 second delay and P10 is set to OFF.

You might just want to do all your conditions checks and functions within your security remote macros as opposed to calling another Phantom macro. Use the ELSE function and create two sets of conditions based on that security remote (daytime or nightime).

It seems that everything in room "OUTSIDE" is turned ON & OFF, including the PHANTOMS (appliance modules) AND Macros!  The FloodCam gets an OFF command because there's a Macro (P13-on) who's sole purpose is to turn off the FloodCam.
I'm going to try changing the "All lights" module to individual modules - and I'm going to experiment with room grouping.  I don't think it should, and I can't understand why an "All lights/Units" command should trigger a macro (the P13-on) - there's nothing on that address and no phantom using it.

Make sure any phantom modules in that room are defined as an appliance module, because if they are, they should not get triggered by an All Lights On command. But All Units Off will trigger any phantom module's Off macro.

If you are just working with 2 lights, I suggest individual commands. When the two lights are on the same house code, I recommend placing a Zero-Second delay between the two for improved reliability (this is an experience thing I seen because of the way AHP sends commands).

Note:  When/if macros start acting squirrely, make sure the trigger is still what you set.  "Ev's Arm" macro's trigger was set to "Ev's KeyChain" as the device, but "unknown" as the condition this morning as I was "exercising" it.  Had to actually change the condition to "disarm" - save - then change it back to "Arm Instant" to get that condition recognized.   Just an FYI.

Seen this myself... everything looks correct on the screen, but the Activity Monitor says something completely different.

Troubleshooting Rule #1: verify what your are expecting with the Activity Monitor  ;)

I'm sure there's a bit of logic in here somewhere......

The term Fuzzy-Logic comes to mind.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 11:16:22 AM »

You don't need Phantom Modules for conditional macros, they just help to organize and control more complex macros. 

Huh? - I can't find it (darn) but I could swear I read that if you use conditions that you had to either use flags or phantoms.  I had one using the daytime but it didn't work until I added the phantom.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:04:02 PM »

Can you post your macro(s)? Maybe what you have now and what didn't work.

This will help make sure we are on the same page here and clear up any confusion.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 03:20:05 PM »

PajamaGuy:
Everything Puck has stated is correct! ;) :D ;D
You don't need Phantom Modules for conditional macros, they just help to organize and control more complex macros.

You may have read that a phantom was needed in a complex macro posted by  Puck or myself. It probably had Else's and conditions and you just assumed the Phantom was needed for all that contained conditions!  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.