Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Better wall Switches  (Read 4137 times)

robo100

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Better wall Switches
« on: January 09, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »

I have started using X10 to automate some of my lights in my house using wall switches and Active home Pro with smart macros. I was wondering if there are any sources for higher quality wall switches. I am using the decorator type switches and they work but they feel cheap, I think this is because they dont actually have a mechanical switch action. I know this seems like a funny request but if I am going to change all my switches over to X10 I would like them to feel like a normal switch. I would even be willing to pay twice the price if they feel closer to a standard switch.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Better wall Switches
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:29:48 PM »

I have started using X10 to automate some of my lights in my house using wall switches and Active home Pro with smart macros. I was wondering if there are any sources for higher quality wall switches. I am using the decorator type switches and they work but they feel cheap, I think this is because they dont actually have a mechanical switch action. I know this seems like a funny request but if I am going to change all my switches over to X10 I would like them to feel like a normal switch. I would even be willing to pay twice the price if they feel closer to a standard switch.

X10 compatible switches from other manufacturers usually cost at least four times as much as the street price for X-10's switches.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »

I was wondering if there are any sources for higher quality wall switches. I am using the decorator type switches and they work but they feel cheap.

http://www.smarthome.com/_/index.aspx

As Mr Sullivan indicated, you should prepare yourself for some sticker shock.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

robo100

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »

Yes I have looked into the smarthome switches before but was not sure if they were any better than the ones I got from X10. Its really hard to tell from the pictures, I guess I could order one to see what they are like.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

They have a on contact at the top and an off at the bottom of the rocker. Dimmers have a LED Bargraph to indicate approximate dim level. Relay types have an LED for on and one for off. Discontinued Icons had one LED for off if memory serves me and didn't have as many scenes.
Both Icon and Insteon; can be set to an X10 Primary Address. Insteon also an X10 Scene.
Early units had button failures but latest ones are reported to be corrected. Though no long time users reports on the updated ones.
They need a real Neutral in the switch box along with a Line and Load wire.

caudill22

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »

I have over 30 various Switchlinc decorator wall switches in my home. They definitley feel "high end". They are quiet when turned on or off, no clicking sound. They also have real rocker switches meaning when you tap the top it turns on and when you tap the bottom it turns off. Depending on the model, they offer two-way and scene options. The LED lights are a real nice touch. However, as noted in previous posts, the associated cost is a lot more, but the quality is very noticable. So if you are looking for a "high-end" feel wall switch, the Switchlinc switches are very nice.

iMax

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:33:10 PM »

Leviton has good quality switches; they are built tough and feel tough... and they work well with X10 products.

I use X10 products in the house when I do not need to access the device frequently; I prefer Leviton switches (HCM06-1DW) and other Leviton Decora Home Controls (DHC) for intensive applications. It is however true that they are more expansive than X10 products. The MSRP for a standard dimming switch seems to be around 200$, but you can find them for around 60$ online.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.