Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Very Old Active Home System  (Read 19345 times)

conobrien

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Very Old Active Home System
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:10:42 PM »

I have a system so old it is only called Active Home (no Pro on the end).  It has worked flawlessly for years.  I have always been VERY apprehensive about having to use the software and plugging it in to a com port because that rarely works.  Well after about 10 years of perfect use, last week I had a power failure and ever since the lights don't come on or they come on sporadically.

I have no idea where to get software.  The disk in my most recent delivery dated April 1999 says it is for Windows95.  I have Windows XP.  Also, I don't think I even have a com port anymore.  (I am not too computer literate when it comes to hardware.)

My specific questions:

1.  Is there new software that will work with Windows XP professional?  If yes, can I download it and how much is it?

2.  Is there a better cord that will plug into a USB port instead of a com port?

My com port is located behind the computer and I can't access it.  I have a USB port on my monitor.

Thank you for any help you can provide for me.

Connie

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Very Old Active Home System
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:46:59 PM »

Active Home has been replaced by Active Home Pro.   It is available from X10USA at the following link: http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html  The price is $49.99.

If you still have your .x10 files from Active Home, save them!!  Active Home Pro will convert them to the .axh files AHP uses, so everything you have now will be there.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »

I have a system so old it is only called Active Home (no Pro on the end).  It has worked flawlessly for years.  I have always been VERY apprehensive about having to use the software and plugging it in to a com port because that rarely works.  Well after about 10 years of perfect use, last week I had a power failure and ever since the lights don't come on or they come on sporadically.

I have no idea where to get software.  The disk in my most recent delivery dated April 1999 says it is for Windows95.  I have Windows XP.  Also, I don't think I even have a com port anymore.  (I am not too computer literate when it comes to hardware.)

My specific questions:

1.  Is there new software that will work with Windows XP professional?  If yes, can I download it and how much is it?

http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/ahsetup.exe  (free)

2.  Is there a better cord that will plug into a USB port instead of a com port?

My com port is located behind the computer and I can't access it.  I have a USB port on my monitor.

You can buy a USB-Serial adapter ($10-$20).  Plug it into your USB port, then plug the CM11A cable into the adapter.  Running ActiveHome under Windows XP with it will be less trouble prone than connecting your CM11A  to an existing serial port.
If you go this route, after installing the driver for the USB-Serial adapter, go into the Windows Device Manager and see what COM port Windows has assigned to the adapter and use this in the ActiveHome software.

But given the age of your system, getting ActiveHome Pro as Dan suggested might be the better alternative.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

conobrien

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »

Thank you both VERY much.  At least I know I'm not dead in the water and you have pointed me in the right direction.  Thanks.

Connie

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »

There's one thing I failed to mention. Some PC motherboards will not support the CM11A as they give the Com ports fits. It vanishes and reappears with no warning. Since you have upgraded to a WinXP Professional machine, AHP is the best for the money.

conobrien

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 07:17:06 PM »

Hello Again:

Today I received my kit.  I just installed and registered the software while the unit was plugged into the USB port.  It automatically installed to:

C:\Program Files\Active Home Pro

No problem so far.  One of you said that it would convert my old data that is stored in the following place:

C:\X10\Active Home

How do I convert?  Is there a way to do this from inside the new software.  I hesitate to just copy everything from the old X10 folder to the new one in case it will "screw things up".  Any ideas?

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 12:18:33 AM »

Simply create a new folder and copy all .x10 files to it, then have Active Home Pro import them. DO NOT copy them to the C:/Program Files/Active Home Pro folder.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »

In Active Home Pro, under Help, there is info on importing data from prior versions.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »

conobrien
A word of warning!
If your old setup is very complicated you may have problems with the conversion! AHP handles some macros differently then AH!
If you find you experiance strange things with your converted setup you will have to build a new AHX file  from scratch refereing to the rebuilt one only for module addresses! ;)
I hope your conversion is a smooth one! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

conobrien

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

Well, it doesn't work.  I had all the old data on the screen.  Very simple.  Two rooms and no macros.  I changed a couple of times, but not all of them.  Did SAVE AS into the new Active Home Pro.  Put in the correct extensions (.ahx).  I put in the correct time zone.  Put in the correct house code letter.  Plugged it in....chose the download feature............AND IT CRASHED!!!!!!!!!

Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close.  Please send the error message to Microsoft.  I did.

NOW I CAN'T OPEN IT AT ALL WITHOUT GETTING THE ABOVE MESSAGE!!!

Can someone explain to me exactly what I don't understand about this?

Also I just discovered there is no phone number to call to talk to a person, only a gigantic frequently asked questions database.  I don't have time for this.

Now I understand some of the posts about X10.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Any ideas?

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 02:14:25 PM »

AHP does not use or connect with IE.    If you only have two rooms (how many modules and what types) and did AHP correctly install and convert your .x10 file correctly?

BTW, ignore any messages you ever get about sending reports to Microsoft.  Just say NO when ever you get them. Microsoft NEVER replys to any of them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:17:33 PM by Dan Lawrence »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »

Try deleting the .ahx file you saved.  If you didn't change the folder where you saved it, you can probably do:
    My Computer > Program Files > Activehome Pro
then right-click on your .ahx file and click "delete".

Hopefully this will let you start up AHP again, click File > New, and recreate your file from scratch.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

conobrien

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »

OK...thank you to both of you. 

I believe I am all set now.  Everything seems to be okay and the download to the unit worked.  I will know in twenty minutes (dusk at my address) if everything works.

I will keep you posted.  Hopefully I didn't waste a day for nothing.  :)

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 05:08:20 PM »

Good.

Drop me a e-mail if everything is good to go.

conobrien

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »

It didn't work.  I know that the system works because I can turn the lights on and off from the computer.  I am at a complete loss as to why they won't go on as scheduled.

Everything worked fine until we had a power failure last week.  We have had power failures before and it didn't stop the system from working.

We have new batteries in the module as well.

I am stumped.

Connie
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.