Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Freeze Detection  (Read 4114 times)

Badmunkie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Freeze Detection
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »

I have a water pressure boost pump that is outside under an insulated box.  I want to have a heat bulb that will come on only when the temp is below 32 degrees F to help keep the lines from freezing.  I found a module called a Freeze Clik that is used in the irrigation industry to turn irrigation pumps off in freezing conditions.  This item closes a set of contacts above 38 degrees F.  There is supposedly a Freeze Clik Reverse available but I have not been able to find one.

I want to connect this to a PF284 Powerflash to send a code to turn on the boost pump heat bulb below 38 degrees F.  The problem is that this configuration works in reverse of what I need.  It turns the bulb OFF below 38 degrees F.

I'm new to the AHP but do have the CM15A controlling some functions in my home.  How can I create a MACRO that will reverse the actions of the freeze detector and the Powerflash so that the boost pump heat bulb will turn ON when the contacts of the freeze detector are open?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

'munkie

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Freeze Detection
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:09:09 PM »

munkie, a macro can be triggered either through and off signal or an on signal.  Your problem can be solved through programming and not extra hardware.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:41:24 AM »

I haven't found it yet (I'm still looking.) but I've seen a simple plug in device that switches on whatever is plugged into it on when the temperature drops below 40 degrees. It could turn on the bulb and or whatever is plugged into it.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

I have a water pressure boost pump that is outside under an insulated box.  I want to have a heat bulb that will come on only when the temp is below 32 degrees F to help keep the lines from freezing.  I found a module called a Freeze Clik that is used in the irrigation industry to turn irrigation pumps off in freezing conditions.  This item closes a set of contacts above 38 degrees F.  There is supposedly a Freeze Clik Reverse available but I have not been able to find one.

I want to connect this to a PF284 Powerflash to send a code to turn on the boost pump heat bulb below 38 degrees F.  The problem is that this configuration works in reverse of what I need.  It turns the bulb OFF below 38 degrees F.

I'm new to the AHP but do have the CM15A controlling some functions in my home.  How can I create a MACRO that will reverse the actions of the freeze detector and the Powerflash so that the boost pump heat bulb will turn ON when the contacts of the freeze detector are open?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

'munkie

Here's how I would do it:
Connect the Powerflash to the temperature sensor unit.
Set the Powerflash code so that it is DIFFERENT from the lamp code.
Create two macros, set to the Powerflash house and unit code.
The "On" macro sends the command to turn the light off.
The "Off" macro sends the command to turn the light on.

--Noam

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »

Found it!

This item might help!
"Plug your appliance into the cold weather Thermo Cube and plug it into the wall. When the temperature drops below 35° the Thermo Cube will turn your appliance ON. When the temperature raises up past 45° it will turn your appliance OFF. Each unit has two receptacles for use with more than one device. Can operate loads up to 1800 Watts, 15 Amps, 120VAC."

Simply plug in your bulb, small heater, pump and / or just about anything else and they will turn on at 35° and back off at 45°.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:49:07 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 09:29:47 PM »

steven r,

Thanks!  Very helpful and timely!

I've been looking for just such a device myself to protect my water shed!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.