Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: House Codes that should NOT be used?  (Read 5410 times)

Mr Bob

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
House Codes that should NOT be used?
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:51:13 PM »

Somewhere I read a listing of codes that shouldn't be used.  I've searched but can't find it again.  Does anyone know which list I'm thinking of and point me to it??  Or am I completely confused?

I had a light wall switch set to B1, but whenever I hit B1 ON or OFF on any of three different remotes or from within AHP, the transceiver clicks on and off, but nothing happened to the light.  I changed the light switch code to B2 and all seems to be working better.  So B1 is now on my "Do Not Use" list . . .

Help please?

Thanks
Cheers!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Bob H.
Southern Maryland

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: House Codes that should NOT be used?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »

A lot of it boils down to personal preference, however, there should be nothing wrong with the "B1 code". I suspect some problem that may come back to haunt you at a later time. e.g. Was anything else set to B1? Any sensors set to "B1" or "B16"

This is one link on the topic.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:17:58 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »

Somewhere I read a listing of codes that shouldn't be used.  I've searched but can't find it again.  Does anyone know which list I'm thinking of and point me to it??  Or am I completely confused?

I had a light wall switch set to B1, but whenever I hit B1 ON or OFF on any of three different remotes or from within AHP, the transceiver clicks on and off, but nothing happened to the light.  I changed the light switch code to B2 and all seems to be working better.  So B1 is now on my "Do Not Use" list . . .

Help please?

Thanks

You'll see a lot of opinions on this topic, but the truth is that on average no code is really any worse than any other.  Sure, there are situations where a specific defect could cause problems on a particular code.  E.g., if the code wheels on a module fall out, it will only respond to M13.  But they're rare, and if you avoid those codes something else will surely go wrong  with whatever choice you've made.   :D

I avoid P16 because AHP sends a P16 On when first started up.  And I avoid P1 because my X10 signal generator sends alternating P1 On/P1 Off when I'm testing the lines.  And if I forget and leave the serial cable dangling from a CM11A I tend to see bursts of garbage signals on housecodes I and J.

I suspect you may have a dirty contact in the unit code dial.   Or subtle interference between signals transceived by AHP and by your other transceiver.  (Try unplugging one or the other and see if that makes a difference on B1.)  Or maybe just a bad bit in the wall switch's microcontroller.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »

Many of the motion sensors use the motion address+1 for a dusk dawn signal. Sometimes that can make for unexpected things.
Like a Motion sensor on M1 uses M2 for Dusk Dawn.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 06:18:27 AM »

Quote from:
I avoid P16 because AHP sends a P16 On when first started up

Charles, Thanks for that bit of usefull information. I was unaware of this.

I avoid A1 because most of the X10 RF devices default to this code when batteries are first installed.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 06:51:53 AM »

Adding to the list, but kind of a rare situation.

If you have a neighbor that usues X10, you may have to get together and decide on codes.
Or you can install a filter on your house and block the neighbors signals.

W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »

Quote from:
I avoid P16 because AHP sends a P16 On when first started up

Charles, Thanks for that bit of usefull information. I was unaware of this.

I avoid A1 because most of the X10 RF devices default to this code when batteries are first installed.

Jim

That could be a convenience if you have only one motion detector.  It avoids having to reprogram it after you've changed the battery,   ;)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »

Help please?

Thanks
As the other members have pointed out, your problem isn't with B1 code. Since your transceiver clicks, but the light does not respond, you likely have a phase coupling problem or a noise problem preventing the PLC signal from the transceiver getting to the light switch over the power line. Search the forum for "noise" and "phase coupling". If your system is very small, a simple  fix might be to move the transceiver until it's signal can get through to the light. A more complicated fix might be an amplifier coupler. I reccommend Jeff Volps "XTB-IIR" or the ACT brand (eg. CR234). The X10, Smarthome, and Leviton brands have some issues that make their use questionable IMHO, although the Smarthome "dryer receptacle" unit is the easiest to install..
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

EL34

• My X-10 projects
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 05:10:15 PM »

I agree with Dave.

Here's my recent experience with nailing X10 problems.
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14221.0
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 05:26:56 PM »

Help please?

Thanks
As the other members have pointed out, your problem isn't with B1 code. Since your transceiver clicks, but the light does not respond, you likely have a phase coupling problem or a noise problem preventing the PLC signal from the transceiver getting to the light switch over the power line. Search the forum for "noise" and "phase coupling". If your system is very small, a simple  fix might be to move the transceiver until it's signal can get through to the light. A more complicated fix might be an amplifier coupler. I reccommend Jeff Volps "XTB-IIR" or the ACT brand (eg. CR234). The X10, Smarthome, and Leviton brands have some issues that make their use questionable IMHO, although the Smarthome "dryer receptacle" unit is the easiest to install..

That the problem is solved merely by  changing from B1 to B2 implies that noise or signal strength issues are not the cause of the problem.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

EL34

• My X-10 projects
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »

I have seen problems solved one day and return the next.

Hard to say in the short haul.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »

I have seen problems solved one day and return the next.

Hard to say in the short haul.

Hopefully Mr Bob will tell us whether his problem stayed fixed.  Or if he is inquisitive enough, whether changing back to B1 after a day or two caused the problem to instantly return.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.