Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPD3 -vs- WS12A (or other)  (Read 4593 times)

iMax

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
XPD3 -vs- WS12A (or other)
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »

I need dimmer switches and would like to know how these models (XPD3 and WS12A) work.

- Can I issue (for example) a bright to 25% command and have the switch start from the OFF state and climb up to 25% or does the switch first turns on (setting the light at 100%) and then dims down to 25%?
- Do these switches click when turned on or are they quiet like lamp modules?
- What is the practical difference between these two models?

Thank you for your help,
Max

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: XPD3 -vs- WS12A (or other)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 01:58:20 PM »

The easiest answer is NO, the WS12 and XPD3 do not have pre-set DIM levels, so will come ON at 100% and then DIM down. If you use a automation controller (CM15A, etc) you can program the controller to DIM the light to the OFF state so it would be possible to DIM from 0 to 25%, if you turn the light OFF by dimming to "OFF" in your software..

X10 has redesigned the WS467 wall switch and one new feature is; the light will come back ON to the same level it was turned OFF at. This would work for your requirements, however I for one do not know when the WS12 and XPD3 may do through the re-design...perhaps they already have (anybody else know?).

XPD3, being a "X10 PRO" line product is supposed to go through a burn-in period as part of manufacturer final testing. The WS12 does not. Other than that they are the same, but with different marketing (X10 PRO is aimed at contractors but anyone canpurchase).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

cnpalmer

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »

X10 has redesigned the WS467 wall switch and one new feature is; the light will come back ON to the same level it was turned OFF at. This would work for your requirements, however I for one do not know when the WS12 and XPD3 may do through the re-design...perhaps they already have (anybody else know?).

I just purchased the WS12A's but received the XPD3's instead, same switch, just the Pro counterpart number.

I installed only one switch so far and the XPD3 now has the same features as the WS467:
  • Softstart for ON
  • Softstart for OFF
  • DIM setting memory

So far the switch works great for manual operation, ON, OFF, DIM functions. It is connected to a ceiling fan/light combination which itself has its own internal dimming functions that I no longer need but can use if operating the fan.

I am having a problem turning the switch on from the CM15A or a remote. The ON function is intermittent, the OFF functions works fine though so its a weird scenario. I'm posting this question in another topic.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »

...X10 PRO is aimed at contractors but anyone can purchase.
For what it's worth, the X10 Pro web site is a professional looking site and the X10 site is a an insult to any intelligent computer user. I have to suspend my expectations if and when I do need to look for something on the X10 site. Also make sure you have your audio turned down or you'll be blasted with an audio ad at the X10 site.

...X10 has redesigned the WS467 wall switch and one new feature is; the light will come back ON to the same level it was turned OFF at.... ...I for one do not know when the WS12 and XPD3 may do through the re-design...perhaps they already have (anybody else know?...
I too would like to know if any of the Pro switches have the "undocumented upgrade feature".

BTW... Does the redesigned WS467 use a neutral connection? Are there any advantages of using a switch with a neutral wire over an equivalent featured switch not requiring a neutral wire?

It would be nice to see a sticky message with a side by side listing of which Pro switches have the same features as their regular counter parts. Including which switches require a neutral wire.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.