Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please help! Suggestions pleas.  (Read 4405 times)

brownie2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Please help! Suggestions pleas.
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:54:31 PM »

Hello,  My wife and I are in need of video serveillance equipment for our home.  I have searched the net and am overwhelmed with the choices.  We need about two cameras that will be placed about 80 ft from the house and outdoors.  This is a low light area.  We need to be able to record the video, hopefully motion active.  I don't want to have to view hours of video for the action shot!  We need something simple and reliable.  VCR or PC which ever is easier and/or cheaper.  Audio would be great. 
We have problems with our new neighbor.  We have a tight budget and we need the system yesterday.
Please help!
Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:20:07 PM by brownie2 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Please help! Suggestions pleas.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:01:07 PM »

• ............. in need of video serveillance equipment for our home.
  • two cameras that will be placed about 80 ft from the house and outdoors.
  • This is a low light area. 
  • need to be able to record the video, hopefully motion active.  I don't want to have to view hours of video for the action shot! 
  • something simple and reliable.
  • Audio would be great. 
  • We have problems with our new neighbor. 
  • We have a tight budget
  • we need the system yesterday.

I am sorry you haven't received a responce to your post sooner. I RE-organized your requirements.... so perhaps you may see.. the list is extensive. It also appears a tad confusing as to your intent.

I might point out... it would be very difficult to monitor your home with cameras placed 80 feet from it. I assume.. your planning on monitoring out-buildings or something like that. But.. at that distance... you will want to look at a wired system.

If you have a low light area on your property... your 1st step should be to illuminate it. I like the X10 floodlights myself.

In many states, it is unlawful to record audio... you should check the legal limits that apply to you in your area. In my state it is lawful to video record people ON MY PROPERTY, but UNlawful to listen to them. But I think most wired X10 cameras have audio (microphones).

Sorry to hear that your having "problems" with your new neighbor. Do you think video monitoring will help... or aggravate the "problems"? I have video monitoring... and to be honest.. I think my neighbors were "concerned" when I installed it. Inviting them over and showing them the system... showing them that they're homes could NOT be seen... really helped.

You may want to try an X10 "2 camera deal" they aren't pricey.... and will allow you to learn a bit about cameras and surveillance systems. If you have an area, or out-building you desire to keep an eye on, a floodlight or two and a couple cameras may be enough. Although the floodlights can also chime a chime or turn on a light in-doors... they don't activate VCR's directly.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Please help! Suggestions pleas.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:56:29 AM »

Hello,  My wife and I are in need of video serveillance equipment for our home.  I have searched the net and am overwhelmed with the choices.  We need about two cameras that will be placed about 80 ft from the house and outdoors.  This is a low light area.  We need to be able to record the video, hopefully motion active.  I don't want to have to view hours of video for the action shot!  We need something simple and reliable.  VCR or PC which ever is easier and/or cheaper.  Audio would be great. 
We have problems with our new neighbor.  We have a tight budget and we need the system yesterday.
Please help!
Thanks for your help

Hummm.. 80 feet well that in my humble opinion might be a problem if you go wireless I'm lucky to get half of that with clear reception plus these things have to have a power supply  were would you plug it in outside run an extension cord well these are things you have to consider. Hopefully some others will give there opinion, think I would do a little more research before I make a purchase and also do some searches here on x10.

tom j

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.