Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem Switching Cameras  (Read 14079 times)

cyclonex10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Problem Switching Cameras
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »

I have a three wireless color camera system. Camera 1 is on a Ninja Tilt/Pan, Camera 2 and 3 standard mount. When I try to switch from Camera 1 to 2 or 3 nothing happens. The only way I have been able to get it to work is if I plug Camera 1 (Ninja Tilt/Pan) into the TM751 Wireless Transceiver and then push "off" on the remote control for Camera 1. The I can switch between camera 2 and 3, but to get back to video on camera 1, the Transceiver has to be switched back on. Any ideas? Thanks for your response in advance.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Problem Switching Cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »

Set your camera addresses to 5,6 & 7 or 2,3 & 4 ;) The tm751 doesn't transceive unit 1 as that is its address!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:55:27 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

cyclonex10

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:13:52 AM »

After some searching I found on a website a different Owner's Manual for the Ninja and it showed a camera being powered by it's XM13A power supply and the Ninja from it's XM14A.  This set up allowed the switching to work properly using either the CR14A remote or the CR12A scanpad.

The owners maunal that came with the Nijna states XCam2 wireless camera in the text, but what I have found listed XCam2 as using the same power supply as the camera I tried. So would getting a different camera allow me to run the camera and Nijna on the same power supply and be able to switch properly?

zach1234

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:46:45 AM »

So you currently have one connected to a ninja and 2 regularly, I don't think you have to buy a diffrent camera, I would buy transceivers an place it in the same outlet as the ninja and other 2 cameras.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 07:40:59 AM »

I have a three wireless color camera system. Camera 1 is on a Ninja Tilt/Pan, Camera 2 and 3 standard mount. When I try to switch from Camera 1 to 2 or 3 nothing happens. The only way I have been able to get it to work is if I plug Camera 1 (Ninja Tilt/Pan) into the TM751 Wireless Transceiver and then push "off" on the remote control for Camera 1. The I can switch between camera 2 and 3, but to get back to video on camera 1, the Transceiver has to be switched back on. Any ideas? Thanks for your response in advance.

What addresses do you have the three power supplies set to?  For proper operation they all have to be set to a unit code within a group of four, i.e., 1-4 or 5-8 or 9-12 or 13-16.   So your camera supplies could be set as 1,2,3 or 2,3,4 or 5,6,7 or 6,7,8, etc.  They won't work correctly if set to, e.g., 4,5,6, because they're split between two different groups of four.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

cyclonex10

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 11:13:02 AM »

Charles,

The Ninja camera is set to #1, the standard mounted cameras are #2 and #3.

Everything works properly when the Ninja is on it's power supply (XM14A) and the camera is on it's power supply (XM13A). Apparently when I depress the camera button on the remote it will not shut off the camera if it is being powered only by the Ninja's power supply. One would then think that I need to power the Ninja and Camera from the camera's power supply (XM13A), but the owners manaul states the difference in specs between the two power supplies and not to interchange.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:25:42 AM by cyclonex10 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »

The Ninja Power Supply should also turn off when a different address is sent. If you turn If  on another camera can you still pan and tilt?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 02:44:56 PM »

cyclonex10   You can not use unit 1  in your setup for a cam or the ninja!
THE REASON IS YOUR USING A TM751 IN THE SETUP!
The TM751 is unit 1 and will not send that info back onto the powerline to turn off another device with the same address!
You can use the ninjas powersupply to power the cams!
Switching from one cam to the other turns all other cams off but not if they are connected to a TM751 transceiver.
The TM751 Can't be turned off in this mannor! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »

The TM751 does send a Unit One on or off from an RF signal and also turn on and off itself.
It as others have mentioned; will not be turned on or off from a powerline signal and will gladly step on another X10 sender if the signals conside.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:02:19 PM »

The TM751 is unit 1 and will not send that info back onto the powerline to turn off another device with the same address!
Switching from one cam to the other turns all other cams off but not if they are connected to a TM751 transceiver.

Tuicemen,
If I understand what you're saying, I think you're mistaken about the TM751 (at least the ones I have).   The built-in appliance module responds to RF signals only for unit 1, but the TM751 transceives RF signals for all units 1-16.

The TM751 is only a transmitter of powerline signals and has no powerline receiver, so the built-in appliance module will respond only to RF, not powerline signals.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »

Charles,

The Ninja camera is set to #1, the standard mounted cameras are #2 and #3.

Everything works properly when the Ninja is on it's power supply (XM14A) and the camera is on it's power supply (XM13A). Apparently when I depress the camera button on the remote it will not shut off the camera if it is being powered only by the Ninja's power supply. One would then think that I need to power the Ninja and Camera from the camera's power supply (XM13A), but the owners manaul states the difference in specs between the two power supplies and not to interchange.

It sounds like the Ninja XM14A power supply (or maybe the  wiring in the Ninja) is defective.  The camera powered by the plug underneath the cap of the Ninja ought to turn on when it receives the unit 1 On signal and should turn off when it receives the On signal for units 2, 3, or 4.

If you can check the XM14A by itself with a voltmeter, you should read about 20-24V DC between the shield and center contact of the stereo plug when you send an A1 On and a very low voltage when you send an A2 On or A3 On or A4 On.  (The voltage between the shield and tip of the stereo plug remains at the 20-24V level all the time.)   If that seems to be working, then do the same test with the stereo plug under  the Ninja cap and you should see the same results.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

cyclonex10

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 11:12:39 PM »

Charles,

I perform your test with the volt meter as you requested. It showed about 24v dc, when I switched to another camera I did not see any voltage reduction. I plugged it in, unplugged it several times and it finally began to work properly running from the Nijna's power supply, then it failed.

Now a new problem when I plug the camea in all of the way the picture is nothing but lines, if I plug it in half way I get a picture, then push it in until it clicks, the picture is lines. I have emailed the seller that I would like to exchange it for a new another. 

Thanks to you and everyone else who replied, I will try again when a new one arrives.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 06:47:22 AM »

Sounds like the supply may have failed. I believe it has two outputs. One keeps the camera video active so it does not lag when turned on. The other part activates the RF sending circuit and allows the pan and tilt to be powered up.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »

Tuicemen,
If I understand what you're saying, I think you're mistaken about the TM751 (at least the ones I have).   The built-in appliance module responds to RF signals only for unit 1, but the TM751 transceives RF signals for all units 1-16.

Maybe I didn't state clearly enough! ::) :(  :-[
I'm not stating that the TM751 will not retransmit\convert the RF signals to PL! It does it for all RF unit numbers 2-16!
As you stated
The TM751 is only a transmitter of powerline signals and has no powerline receiver, so the built-in appliance module will respond only to RF, not powerline signals.
This is the point I'm trying to make  ::) turning on another camera in the series sends a PL command out to turn the others off!
If one is attached to the TM751 it will not get the off signal!
Thus cyclonex10 can't use it for a cam plugged into it(it will remain always on unless they send the off signal via RF)Auto switching will not work!
True a Pan & Tilt has an RF receiver built in, maybe I'm wrong but I was lead to believe it was only for movement!  ::)
I'm not stating A TM751 can't be used for camera operations! Just if you have a multi cam setup don't plug one of the cams into the TM751! ;)
If you do don't expect it to work as advertized! ::) ;) :D ;D

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

cyclonex10

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »

In recent Testing, I did not have any cameras or the Pan/Tilt plugged in to the TM751. The TM751is plugged into an outlet, by itself. When I was able to get everything to function properly by running the camera on it's own power supply and the Pan/Tilt on it's own supply, that told me that it was not necessary to have anything plugged into the TM751.  The seller is having me contact x10 support for troubleshooting before he will replace.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.