Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attractive price for the components I need, but is X-10 right for me?  (Read 5209 times)

Vigilant1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

This is a great forum and there's certainly a lot of expertise and goodwill here.  I'm hoping to benefit from both.

I'm researching security systems for a near-term purchase.  I'm okay as a DIY type, but not a big electronics hobbyist.  I'm not interested in home automation.  What we need is:

- Chimes that ring inside and lights that illuminate outside when there is motion there.  Would be best if the chimes could ring in our bedroom and in the family room (2 locations).
  - Perimeter alarms (all doors and windows)- Chime when we are at home and alarm not set ("Run 2?"); horns, flashing lamps, and dialer when alarm is set (home or away).  We have 24 doors and windows.
  - Internal motion detector:  Primarily as backup to the perimeter alarms--active in "alarm set, away" mode only.
  - I have a shop that is about 70 feet away from the house, would like a loud, distinctive alarm/chime inside when we are home if it is entered, and to have the horns/light/autodialer activated when we are away.
  - Internal video:  It would be very useful to have video/audio of anyone who comes or goes through the main hallway of our home.  I'd like to use an old, cheap VCR for capturing this and I really have no interest in watching it live. 

The X-10 system seems to offer a lot for the $$, especially regarding the price of the window/door sensors.  Even if I put two or three contacts on as many of the transmitters as I can, I'm still looking at the need to have 10 of these, and many non-X10 companies charge up to $40 each.  And they use lithium batteries:  powerful and long-lasting, but expensive. 

I'm a little discouraged by the "fussiness" of the X-10 system, but encouraged that there's a lot of help on this forum.  Also, it seems like a lot of the issues/challenges come from the communications over the AC power lines, and maybe I can avoid that by using wireless-over-the-air signals.

So, comments/pot shots are solicited.  Here's my plan:

Buy a couple of the bundles offered on the X-10 site that will give me the following:

- Voice dialer console (PS561) (this goes near our master BR)
  - 12 door/window sensors (DS10A)
  - 3 interior motion detectors (MS10A)--for the exterior shop, garage, and a central hallway in our home)
  - 2 security remotes (SH624) (one out of sight in the main entryway, one in the garage)
  - 4 keychain remotes
  - 2 lamp modules (LM465)
  - wall bracket (87-WMB-B)
  - Powerhorn (mount in attic, near roof vent).  I have AC power in the attic.
  - Two floodlights (PR511) with motion sensors and chime (SC546).

Specific questions:
  - Chimes:
     1) Does the base control unit have a chime function, or just the loud sirens?
     2) Is the link between the chime unit(s) and the fllodlights totally independent of the alarm console?
     3) I'll get one chime unit with the floodlights.  I can buy more.  Would it be possible to have these chimes all sound if either of the two floodlights is activated?
     4) Can I have all these chimes sound when a window/door is opened if my home alarm system is "off" and in "run2"?

- Lamp modules:
   - 5) Is it possible to have a lamp module that is activated by the alarm panel (when the alarm sounds) and also turns the lamp on when the exterior floodlights come on?  If so, how do i set these up? 

- Window sensors: 
     6) I have 6 windows/doors in my detached shop.  Is there a maximum number of magnetic switches I can attach (in series) to a single transmitter?
     7) In my home, almost all the windows are horizontal sliders (both sides can slide in the track).  I think this means i have to have a wired portion (switch, on the sash) and a magnet portion (on the sliding part) for each of the window sections.  Is that the right way to do this?  If so, i need a LOT of these parts. What's the most economical way to buy 30+ of these window switches?

- Video capture from cameras.  As far as I can tell, this is a fairly stand-alone function from the alarm system  I just buy the XCam2 (XX11A), the VCR Commander II (UX23A) the small Audio/vid receiver (VR31A) and the Eagle-eye Motion Sensor (MS14A).  The motion sensor activates the cmaera, aht signal from te camera activates the video receiver and the video reciver activates the VCR to record for 5 minutes--and you get any video/audio from the camera. 
    8) Is there any common/smart interactivity between cameras and the alarm system?  For example, it would be great to have three or four small, cheap cameras that would take sequential 3-second video shots of various places around the house when the alarm sounded.  A shot of the driveway might show any vehicles used, and it's possible you might get a few images of the intruders.   

- External horns/sounders:
     9) Is there an alternative to the X-10 Powerhorn/compact powerhorn?  The x-10 over-the-AC comms are a little hit-and-miss for such a crucial function, and I wouldn't mind hard-wiring a siren/horn into the control unit and running a wire to the attic, if that's  possible.   

Thanks in advance for any assistance form those here who've obviously accumulated a LOT of experience the hard way.  Also, any tips on particular hardware bits are welcome

Vigilant1

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Attractive price for the components I need, but is X-10 right for me?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 04:03:32 PM »

Not interested in HomeAutomation?
From the list provided sounds like you want to do a bit! ;)
If you have a PC that you can leave on 24/7 everything you wish to do is possible
In addition to your security order go out and get the Active Home Pro  & all plug-insBundle on sell now for $49!
if you can't dedicate the PC to it 24/7 your limited to what you can do with the security devices!
Now for some answers!
Chimes:
1:the base unit has a built in chime
2:chimes and flood lights are independent
3:you can buy more chimes and have them activated by the floods
4: yes using Active Home Pro and CM15A(hardware part) connected to &  PC On

Lamp Modules:
5: yes there a few ways to do this one using AHP PC doesn't need be on, or setting its address to that of the floods!

Window sensors: 
6: not sure if anyone has maxed them out yet! think it would depend on the length of wire run you need!
7: sensors come with instructions for installing depending on you windows you may need 2 magnetic contacts

Video capture from cameras:
8: with AHP the possibilities with every thing coming together is limited only by ones imagination!

External horns/sounders:
9: You can run some wire although opening the unit and modifying it will void the warranty!
You could also pick up an other siren and power it from an appliance module or mod a socket rocket with a screw in outlet!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Vigilant1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Attractive price for the components I need, but is X-10 right for me?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 09:45:31 AM »

Tuiceman,

Thanks for the note.   By "Home automation" I was just referring to turning on my lights remotely or on some type of timed program, having the coffeeemaker turn on via some computer macro, etc.  But, you are right,  I am looking to do some security automaton.

I've seen a lot of good ideas IRT other user's questions (esp how to mute the horns on the base unit, etc.)  I know I'll be back with more questions.

Vigilant 1

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.