Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Did I make a bad purchase?  (Read 8432 times)

aguyindallas

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Did I make a bad purchase?
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:50:09 AM »

I guess I should have checked this forum before I bought my system. I bought (and should receive tomorrow) the 4 camera 1001 uses camera system.

It sounds like I have a lot of obstacles:

2.4ghz cordless phones (4 of them)
Wireless Network for internet with 4 PC's running on it

I have a 2 story house. I plan to put the dedicated to camera PC in the garage, or perhaps the attic. I will probably have it set to record on motion (not sure yet) to this PC with the included receiver and USB video capture adapter.

The cameras will be located as follows:

1. Front of house, outside of garage to overlook the driveway. (Nightwatch Camera)
2. Rear of house, most likely on the second floor. (Nightwatch Camera)
3. Inside living room, near cieling of second floor level. (X-Cam2)
4. 4th camera position to be determined.

Now that I have started reading the forum, I am afraid NONE of my plans will work with this system. People are complaining about cordless phones, wireless networks, not have an omnidirectonal antenna on the receiver, all sorts of things. Its making me think the system is going to be total junk and not capable of meeting my needs.

Any ideas guys? I know I am jumping the gun since I have not even received the system or tried to set it up, but I dont want to spend several hours on this project. I want to place my cameras where they need to go and be done with it.

Also, its my understanding that all of these cameras in my system can be mounted outdoors without worry of rain/water damage.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Did I make a bad purchase?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:10:47 PM »

Now that I have started reading the forum, I am afraid NONE of my plans will work with this system. People are complaining about cordless phones, wireless networks, not have an omnidirectonal antenna on the receiver, all sorts of things. Its making me think the system is going to be total junk and not capable of meeting my needs.

I use cordless phones (3 systems - 6 phones), wifi, and wireless cameras. Keeping reading here.. and you will also read there is plenty of bandwidth at 2.4ghz.. you may have to do a little tweaking is all.

Any ideas guys? I know I am jumping the gun since I have not even received the system or tried to set it up, but I don't want to spend several hours on this project. I want to place my cameras where they need to go and be done with it.

You may have a problem! A four camera surveillance system isn't a "place the cameras... and be done with it" type of a project. You could call a professional to set-up a system.. and save a little of your own time... but it will cost you hundreds of extra dollars.

Setting up a surveillance system... or a computer controlled Home Automation system... should be a JOY (or at least a real HOOT). If you've never used a surveillance camera before, your going to learn a lot more, than you knew there was to know. You will VERY LIKELY run into problems.. for which YOU will need to figure solutions. It is also likely that you will need to order more parts, than what you have already bought. When finished, you will have a project you will show-off to your friends. You will be proud of what you've accomplished, and enjoy using it.

Or you can call X10... they will gladly refund your money. If you ask them nicely, they may even pay return shipping

Also, its my understanding that all of these cameras in my system can be mounted outdoors without worry of rain/water damage.

Yep these X10 cameras are tough little work horses! But when placed outside it's best if sheltered by an over-hang or something.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:24:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.