Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Halogen Wall Switch Help for a Newbie  (Read 15744 times)

irishlaxer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Halogen Wall Switch Help for a Newbie
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »

Ok, just so I am being clear let me point out that I am not using the WS467 to control an outlet, i'm using it a hardwired lighting fixture. So I cannot plug a nightlight in to check it without installing an outlet in the light box. The light is not a lamp.

So it sounds like my issue is I need the XP33 or Decora to control this light?

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 09:18:56 PM »

Ok, just so I am being clear let me point out that I am not using the WS467 to control an outlet, i'm using it a hardwired lighting fixture. So I cannot plug a nightlight in to check it without installing an outlet in the light box. The light is not a lamp.

I'm completely confused now!  The diagram at the URL you gave us for your halogen light assembly shows a string of lights with an electronic power supply.  How, exactly, is this assembly of parts connected to the built in light fixture you're controlling with the WS467? Did you screw a two prong plug in adapter into the fixture?  Did you hard wire the unit into the fixture?  Please explain. Thanks.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 01:00:22 PM »

Yes an XPS3 will work,  as will a WS13A...any X10 switch for flourescent lights, low voltage lights (as yours are), inductive loads, etc. should work. The  two wire wall switches WS467, WS12A, will not work (any X10 wall switch that says "INCANDESCENT LIGHTS ONLY" ).

If your lights say they are dimmer capable you could try a XPDI3 which would give you dimming.

All of the switches which are compatable with your low voltage lighting will need a neutral wire in the wall box.

If you do not have a neutral wire in your box, you could also use a wire in appliance module like the XPFM, work if you can find a way to wire it in at before the socket.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

irishlaxer

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 09:11:08 PM »

Thanks for this info. I do have a neutral in the box so I will give a switch a try.

Oldtimer, the light I sent in the URL is a track light halogen system. There is no plug it is just a hard wired strandard light. The track in the picture might resemble a string, but it is acutally just one of those lighting systems with a bendable track so you can shape it to whatever direction you like. They sell simliar systems at Home Depot and Lowe's as well.

rjpalencia

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 06:40:52 PM »

I have the exact same problem with my Ws467 controlling a Halogen light (i.e. manual control works fine, CM15A can turn the unit off but cannot turn on or dim). 

Did the final solution in this thread solve the problem?

Thanks!
RJ
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.