Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need advice about lights  (Read 3621 times)

twentw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need advice about lights
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »

I have what should be a simple project.  I have 8 wall lights, all with compact flourescent bulbs, plugged into 2 power strips which are in turn plugged into 2 different wall receptacles.  I want to be able to flip a switch on the wall to turn all lights on at the same time.

As for the switch, would the WS467 work?  Also, does the WS467 fit in a standard switch box?  Actually I'm leaning more toward the Insteon here: http://www.smarthome.com/2466sw.html.  It's a lot more expensive, but it looks better.  Would this work?  Also, I read here that to control flourescent fixtures, you need a "neutral power wire" in the switch box.  The box I'm using has 60 year old wiring - it has black and red wires both connected to the switch, and a white wire that's not.  Is this sufficient?

As for the lamp module, I take it that the standard module, the LM465, won't work, but I'd need the Appliance module - the AM486, correct?  Also, if I wanted to do a built-in solution, would tbe SuperSocket Receptacle - SR227 - work?  Would the comparable Insteon modules also work with no compatibility issues?

Thanks for any help.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: Need advice about lights
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »

I have what should be a simple project.  I have 8 wall lights, all with compact flourescent bulbs, plugged into 2 power strips which are in turn plugged into 2 different wall receptacles.  I want to be able to flip a switch on the wall to turn all lights on at the same time.

As for the switch, would the WS467 work?  Also, does the WS467 fit in a standard switch box?  Actually I'm leaning more toward the Insteon here: http://www.smarthome.com/2466sw.html.  It's a lot more expensive, but it looks better.  Would this work?  Also, I read here that to control flourescent fixtures, you need a "neutral power wire" in the switch box.  The box I'm using has 60 year old wiring - it has black and red wires both connected to the switch, and a white wire that's not.  Is this sufficient?

As for the lamp module, I take it that the standard module, the LM465, won't work, but I'd need the Appliance module - the AM486, correct?  Also, if I wanted to do a built-in solution, would tbe SuperSocket Receptacle - SR227 - work?  Would the comparable Insteon modules also work with no compatibility issues?

Thanks for any help.

First the wiring you describe sounds OK.  Can you test that either the black or red wire shows full AC voltage to the white wire with the switch turned off?  You'll need to know that the white is really neutral and which wire goes to the power distribution panel before you proceed.

Next, you are correct, you need some form of appliance module or switch, not a lamp module or the WS467.  If you want the Decora look check out X10's WS13A or XPSS wall switches.  They look great and are readlily available on Ebay.  They're three way capable but work fine as a regular switch at much less cost than Insteon.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

DeltaNu1142

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:52:49 PM »

Next, you are correct, you need some form of appliance module or switch, not a lamp module or the WS467.  If you want the Decora look check out X10's WS13A or XPSS wall switches.  They look great and are readlily available on Ebay.  They're three way capable but work fine as a regular switch at much less cost than Insteon.
I agree, I have a few XPSS switches in use--however, they're LOUD!  CLACK!!  I may go with the Insteon or outdated Smarthome switches in my next application because they promise to be quieter than others.
CM15A with modded antenna - AHP & Smart Macros - IR543 - RR501s - cameras, switches, and sensors oh my!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:05:56 PM »

As for the switch, would the WS467 work?  Also, does the WS467 fit in a standard switch box? 
Thanks for any help.

The WS467 will fit into a standard switch box.  Here's a link to the instructions for converting it to add a neutral connection so it will work with CFLs.  NOTE:  This is for older, non-dimming WS467s.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14210.msg78894#msg78894
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

twentw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:15:24 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I have another question.  One of the 8 lights I'd like to be able to turn on separately, but I'd also like it to turn on when all the others do.  Is it possible for one light to respond to 2 switches?  How would I do this?

DeltaNu1142

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 03:54:34 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I have another question.  One of the 8 lights I'd like to be able to turn on separately, but I'd also like it to turn on when all the others do.  Is it possible for one light to respond to 2 switches?  How would I do this?

I would do this with a macro, but from your previous posts it doesn't seem as if you have a controller?

Hmm...  with a macro, you may encounter a delay between the first 7 lights and the 8th, or vice-versa.

I'm thinking of something like this, but I'm not sure how to express it in X10 (@ = a light)

_________________________________________@
_________________________________________|
__________________/______________________|
__________________:
__________________: ________________
__________________/_________________\____

...where the double-throw switch is a transmit switch, that sends a command to flip on your 8th light if it's not already on <~~~ that would require logic, because if your 8th light were already on, hitting your transmit switch would turn it off...

How far off am I?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:57:24 PM by DeltaNu1142 »
CM15A with modded antenna - AHP & Smart Macros - IR543 - RR501s - cameras, switches, and sensors oh my!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.