Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help-neutral wiring with XPS3  (Read 3533 times)

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
help-neutral wiring with XPS3
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »

I have a 4 gang outlet (4 switches in one box).  2 are 3 way and 2 are singles.  It seems that just tapping into the 4 neutral wires with 4 more wires would be too big of a connection (4 from the pro switches).  Can I take the respective 4 neutral wires, connect to their respective switch, and use the 2nd screw with an "out" neutral and tie those new 4 (out from the switches) neutrals together?   
  Geez, I hope that made sense.   In other words, pro switches have two connections for neutral.  Use incoming neutral to each switch, add wire to other neutral and connect those new wires from the switches together.  This way I'm only wrapping 4 wires.
  Would I be doing that right?

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: help-neutral wiring with XPS3
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:42:17 PM »

In other words, pro switches have two connections for neutral.  Use incoming neutral to each switch, add wire to other neutral and connect those new wires from the switches together.  This way I'm only wrapping 4 wires.
  Would I be doing that right?

That sounds right to me, make sure you use the same size wire as the house wiring for the four you connect together. 

I've found that the two connections for each function, not just the neutral,  on an XPS3 come in really handy.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »

As a side note, remember to down rate the wattage of your switches when you have them side by side in the same box.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 12:12:31 AM »

As a side note, remember to down rate the wattage of your switches when you have them side by side in the same box.

ummm, huh????

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 06:26:38 AM »

Many of the dimming switches need their ratings lowered when next to each other; as they generate heat.
I don't remember the X10 derating but do know the Insteon ones are 200 watts for each one next to each other or if you have to break off a heatsink fin on the 1000 watt version. If a regular switch is between two Insteons the 200 watt detainng is not needed.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »

The cautions about derating dimming switches are a very important but often overlooked point but why would they be applicable to XPS3s which are relay type, non-dimming appliance wall switches?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 04:10:39 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 12:47:33 PM »

Can't say about X10; but Insteon you don't have to derate if the dimmers are not next to each other and a relay type doesn't count as dimming.  So two relays next to each other fine. Relay between two dimmers fine; no derate from all I have read. I use relay types only for CFLs.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.