Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I learned a few things this past weekend...  (Read 3477 times)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
I learned a few things this past weekend...
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »

...so I thought I'd share - for what they're worth.

1. The CM15A can be flaky  :P- if you're having too much trouble fun, re-boot both the CM15A (clear memory and pull the batteries) and the PC.
2. Back-up your AHP file (do it now while you're reading this...)
3. The SR731 is an RF repeater only - it doesn't repeat or place PLCs on the powerline.  It re-transmits RF signals from remotes & sensors to your other receivers.
4. The DS7000 isn't a repeater per se, but it does receive all 256 codes (RF) and does translate them to PLCs and place them on the powerline.
4a. Therefore, if you have a DS7000, a CM15A, and an SR731, you might see an RF command repeated 4 times. (i.e. PalmPad sends an RF signal, the CM15A receives it and puts the PLC on the powerline (1), the DS7000 receives it and puts the PLC on the powerline(2), the SR731 receives it and re-transmitts it RF, the DS7000 receives the SR731's re-tansmission and puts the PLC on the powerline (3), and the CM15A receives the SR731's re-transmission and places the PLC on the powerline (4).  Distances between the devices will of course affect the repetition - strategic placement helps to get full coverage with minimal repetition.

(4.a is mostly theory - I don't think I've seen 4 repetitions)

5. If you have a distant room (or garage), and if you can put all of its devices on 1 HouseCode, ...adding a TM715A to that room/HouseCode might solve some otherwise head-scratching anomalies.
6. If you think you don't have a phase-coupler issue, make sure of what 220v devices (HVAC-Oven-Dryer-Water Heater, Arc-Welder,etc) are running (or not) while you're testing.  (Phase-couplers are less than $20 on eBay.)
7. Your wife is ALWAYS right, and even when she's not right, YOU are still wrong.

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: I learned a few things this past weekend...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:40:42 PM »

Your wife is ALWAYS right, and even when she's not right, YOU are still wrong.

Yes. And any problem anyone may have with an X10 set-up... is merely an entertaining puzzle. UNLESS it effects WAF... then it becomes a dire technological difficulty that must be quickly resolved.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.