Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange problem with AHP/SM Motion Macro  (Read 12942 times)

RebHawk

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Strange problem with AHP/SM Motion Macro
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:05:25 AM »

Hi all:
This is my first post.  I've already found the site to be a wealth of info, and hope that my question below isn't too basic.
Here goes...

I'm trying to get my X10 AHP/CM15A setup to turn the lights in my bathroom on/off using an EagleEye motion sensor.  However, it isn't quite working right.  Here's my setup:

Motion sensor address: M7
Motion sensor type: EagleEye
Wall switch address: M5
Wall switch type: XPD3
Timeout on motion sensor: 4 minutes

I have two macros.  The first simply looks for M7 to come on and then (supposedly) turns on the lights.  But it doesn't.  I can, however, turn the lights on and off by manually clicking the icon for the switch in AHP, so the signals are clearly getting there.  The signals from the motion sensor also show up reliably in the Activity Monitor.

My second macro looks for the motion sensor to send an OFF signal, and then turns the lights off.   And it works! If I walk in the room, thus tripping the sensor, and turn the lights on manually, then leave, 4 minutes later the lights turn off as they should. 

Lastly, if the lights are off, and I trip the sensor, the icon on AHP shows that the lights have been turned on, but they are not physically on.

So my question is, why would the OFF macro work, while the ON macro doesn't?  Is this a case of needing to set flags so the macro doesn't "see" the sensor ON multiple times?  Or some other problem?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
--Lee

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Strange problem with AHP/SM Motion Macro
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:14:23 AM »

Lastly, if the lights are off, and I trip the sensor, the icon on AHP shows that the lights have been turned on, but they are not physically on.

The only time I recall seeing this little quirk is when the macro is set to run from the PC and the house code is not set to transceive.

So my first suggestion is to make sure your ON macro has the "store in interface" selected.

So my question is, why would the OFF macro work, while the ON macro doesn't?  Is this a case of needing to set flags so the macro doesn't "see" the sensor ON multiple times?  Or some other problem?

For this macro set up, flags are not required. If you have a large set up then flags (or other conditions) will help to eliminate unnecessary power line signals & CM15A processing power.

RebHawk

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:01:02 AM »

Puck:
Thanks for your reply.  Yes, "Store in Interface" is selected.  The monitored housecode is M, and all housecodes are set to transceive.  Still no joy.

Cheers,
--Lee

RebHawk

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:13:08 AM »

Here's some more info to chew on.  If I set a timer for this light, it never turns on.  However, the AHP icon shows it "ON".  If I then cycle the switch on the icon manually, the light physically turns on... and then turns off at the "OFF" time set in the timer.  Very frustrating.  Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
--Lee

RebHawk

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »

Ok, got it working... sort of...

When setting up this light in AHP, I had used the non-pro decorator dimmer wall switch, when in fact the switch is the pro version.  Switching to the PRO module in AHP makes it work, but... the pro decorator wall switch dimmer in AHP doesn't have the ability to dim from AHP, apparently!  The icon just shows a switch, not a switch with dimmer, and a macro gives no option to dim...

Regards,
--Lee

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »

What is the model number of your light switch?

There is a softstart version of some light switches now that causes these strange problems in AHP and you have to select an incorrect module in AHP for them to work correctly.

RebHawk

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »

Module number of the switch is XPD3, as stated above.

Cheers,
--Lee

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »

Module number of the switch is XPD3, as stated above.

Cheers,
--Lee

Ah... missed that. I don't recall that model being different (yet).

In your preferences, do you have "Issue On in place of Brighten 100%" selected?

RebHawk

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »

No, Issue On is not selected.  As others here have noted, the AHP icon for the XPD3 doesn't have the dimmer slider on it, eventho it should...

Cheers,
--Lee

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »

No, Issue On is not selected. 

Selecting this seems to solve some issues with dimmable modules.

RebHawk

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »

No, Issue On is not selected. 

Selecting this seems to solve some issues with dimmable modules.

Thanks, Puck.  This indeed lets me use the standard decorator dimmer module for operating these switches.  For my late-night bathroom macro, I have a second step of the macro that then dims the lights back down to 33%.    Not ideal, but it works.

Cheers,
--Lee

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.