Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A couple of issues  (Read 6977 times)

ckjk616

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
A couple of issues
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »

New to X-10, AHP, and the forum, I have a couple of  questions that I haven't been able to find on the forum. I hope they're appropriate.

I created a macro to turn on three house entry lights after dusk. I physically turn them off when I return home. When I turn one of them off (the last in the list to turn on) it begins flashing about once every two seconds. The only way I can stop it is to turn the wall switch's power switch off. The macro seems simple enough. What's going on? If you need more information, please let me know.

Second, can you folks think of a way that X-10 can report my house heating time on? My programmable thermostats (it's a 3 zone system) do not record on time. It would be nice if a module could be activated and report back every time the furnace switches on. There's a 110v outlet controlling a humidifier, if that helps.

Thanks,

Jeff

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: A couple of issues
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »

I created a macro to turn on three house entry lights after dusk. I physically turn them off when I return home. When I turn one of them off (the last in the list to turn on) it begins flashing about once every two seconds. The only way I can stop it is to turn the wall switch's power switch off. The macro seems simple enough. What's going on? If you need more information, please let me know.

Are you using a CFL in the fixture that blinks when it's turned off? Is the switch a WS467 and if so how old?
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:24:51 PM »

I Record my heating time via x10. 
for your situation, you need to interface the furnace with x10, there are several ways to do this, each with some risk, so I'll leave that end up to you.  To log my furnace time, I use BXMC (Bill's X-10 Manual Control).  It writes x10 activity to a txt file.  The program only logs the modules you chose, so it's very helpful when it comes to sorting out all the other x10 activity.
Now the bad part, BXMC isn't published anywhere.  You have to contact Bill (of WGJohns.com) directly.
Any questions on the details, feel free to PM me or catch me (and the Cheers Gang) at KDR's Home Automation Chat  www.bdshost.com/ac
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

ckjk616

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »

Are you using a CFL in the fixture that blinks when it's turned off? Is the switch a WS467 and if so how old?

No, just a standard incandescent bulb. I was surprised to see a CFL wouldn't even work in an appliance module. From the sound of it, there's a relay in there. Shouldn't that allow a CFL? I tried it and the bulb flickered when off.  But back to the original issue. Yes, the switch is a WS467, purchased about a year ago, but installed only recently.This situation has the bulb turning full on and full off about once every two or three seconds, not flickering like the CFL.

Thanks

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:24:26 PM »

That sounds like the switch is either bad, or there's a problem with the macro.  Check the macro to make sure there are no bugs in it. If it's fine, the switch has failed.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

ckjk616

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »

That sounds like the switch is either bad, or there's a problem with the macro.  Check the macro to make sure there are no bugs in it. If it's fine, the switch has failed.
I'm feeling a little foolish. After replacing the switch, resulting in the same problem. I realized I had a motion sensor that had run another macro to turn on the same entry light if someone approached. The macro had been deleted and purged, but the sensor was set to A16 to trigger that now deleted macro. What I didn't realize; and correct me if I'm wrong; is that the on at dusk/off and dawn feature for the unit code +1 was triggering A17, which must actually be A1, the next clockwise setting, and the unit code of the light in question. Facing the light, the motion sensor read daylight, turned the light off, then read darkness, turning it back on. Does this seem right? Thanks for all your help.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »

I believe you are correct. A unit 16 for motion loops around back to unit 1 for the dusk/dawn setting.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:26:25 AM »

...The macro had been deleted and purged, but the sensor was set to A16 to trigger that now deleted macro. What I didn't realize... ...is that the on at dusk/off and dawn feature for the unit code +1 was triggering A17, which must actually be A1, the next clockwise setting, and the unit code of the light in question.... ...Does this seem right?...
As Brian said, yes this is correct. The plus 1 unit code for 16 is 1. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way but I bet you never forget it now.  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Boiler

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »

Once upon a time, I thought there were other reasons for not using addresses 15 and 16.

I don't have this written down, and my memory isn't what it once was.  A little help?

Boiler

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 03:33:18 PM »

Once upon a time, I thought there were other reasons for not using addresses 15 and 16.
I don't recall a problem using the unit codes 15 or 16 except for P16 but I did remember and found this recommendation not to use flags 15 & 16.  http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=5441.msg38141#msg38141

The what codes / flags not to use discussion has come up a few times before. Could it be summed up and stickied somewhere?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »

I don't recall a problem using the unit codes 15 or 16 except for P16 but I did remember and found this recommendation not to use flags 15 & 16.  http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=5441.msg38141#msg38141

The what codes / flags not to use discussion has come up a few times before. Could it be summed up and stickied somewhere?

Thank you Steven. 

The mind is the first thing to go.  Can't remember the second...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54:35 AM »

Thank you Steven. 

The mind is the first thing to go.  Can't remember the second...

Disagree - prostate is the first to go and I ........what was I just saying?.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.