Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Remoting MS10A & DS10A Sensors  (Read 30011 times)

Norm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Remoting MS10A & DS10A Sensors
« on: February 23, 2008, 01:32:05 PM »

What do I need or how do I get RF from these sensors into the electrical system so I can run macros from Active Home Pro. I want to locate the sensors in my detached garage which is wired to the house electrical system. The sensors only seem to work when close to my CM15A interface. RF range for sensors appears to be very limited 15-20 feet. They do not appear to be able to interface with my TM751 transceiver. I have a coupler-repeater-amplifier installed across phases. All I want is to turn on lights and maybe sound a horn if someone goes into garage. Also, I would like to be able to use KR10 A to arm and disarm, turn on lights, etc from just out side the garage. Right now the security keyfob only works within 10-15 feet of the CM15A interface, which is in my home office. Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Norm

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Remoting MS10A & DS10A Sensors
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »

The problem is more the reception range of the CM15A than the transmission range of the security sensors. You might want to check out various ways to improve the CM15A's reception: Project To Increase Range Of CM15A

Another alternative is to use a WGL Design V572RF32 antenna.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »

Norm - this is a good topic.  I'm also new and have spent days at a time trying to understand the hows & whys.  Mr. Puck or Tuicemen (or others) will correct me if I'm off center, but:

The TM751 tranceives only 1 HouseCode.  If all your garage sensors are on the same HouseCode, set the 751 to that code and position it in the garage.  It will receive the sensors and tranceive their signal onto the powerline. 

1. But the sensors must be on the same HouseCode as the 751 - OR - you need a 751 for each different HouseCode used in the garage.  751's are not polite.  The RR501's are.

As Puck points out, the V572RF32 is one solution.  I've ordered a SR731 ($25-eBay) which "should" extend the range of all 256 codes - time will tell.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Norm

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:27 AM »

Problem seems to be that the MS10A and the DS10A are not addressable. Some magic code is generated by the ActiveHome software during installation process that only the CM15A recognizes. I have a SocketRocket installed in an external light on the garage. The default address for it is A1. Using a PalmPad I can turn the light off and on via a TM751...regardless of the code set on the TM751, e.g., house code set to A, B, c, etc. So the TM receives the signal and transmits it into the electrical system. I have a Signal.Inc Coupler-Repeater and when I press A1 on the PalmPad I can see the lights blink on the Coupler-Repeater so I know the signal has been injected into the electrical system. When I trigger either the Motion or Door-Window sensors, no signal is received and repeated by the Coupler-Repeater. It appears the RF signal generated by these sensors can only be received by the CM15A or a "security console," within range, and that range appears to be very short. They sell other motion detectors which are apparently addressable and work with the TM751, but that still doesn't help with the door-window sensors. What am I missing??? Suggestions appreciated.

Regards,
Norm

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 09:19:08 AM »

I think Puck answered your question.  The SR731 (sold by X10) will repeat security sensors, and the V572RF32 transceiver (WGL & Associates) in combination with a PSC05 interface module will repeat as well.  Of course, the SR731 receives RF and retransmits RF, while the V572RF32 receives RF and retransmits over the power line.  At least that's my understanding of the two.........

Norm

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »

Sounds like the V572RF32 is what I need. Any suggestions as to where to buy. One site appears to have a good price, but nothing on the page indicates the price includes the interface. suggestions? Thanks to everyone for the help!

Regards,
Norm

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 10:17:48 AM »

You might try www.hnausa.com - I think it's $89.95.  Not cheap, but it has great range and is easy to set up.  Once programmed you can position it to the appropriate position for range.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:21:19 AM by JMac »

Norm

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:04:55 AM »

Thanks! Ordered. Will post results after installed.

Norm

jtykal

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • It was working fine yesterday...
    • Casa Bella - Vacation Condo in Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »

I read the info on the V572RF32 -- it says "In addition to the standard features it also receives 32 bit RF data from X10 devices like the DS10A & MS10A. These 32 bit security signals are mapped to any regular X10 address and transmitted over the power line."  The question I have is this:  What does the CM15A do with this power line data? Will AHP/OnAlert receive/recognize/process these power line commands in the same way as it handles RF data from the security sensors? Has anyone else tried using the V572RF32 with security sensors and AHP/OnAlert?  I'm looking forward to hearing about anyone's (especially Norm's) experience with this...

Even if this works, it's a fairly expensive solution. I've had great success with the aforementioned f-connector mod on the CM15A and an old pair of TV rabbit ears...
AHP-CM15A(ext.ant)-SmartMacros-OnAlert-DoorMonitor(custom)-Win7

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »

What does the CM15A do with this power line data? Will AHP/OnAlert receive/recognize/process these power line commands in the same way as it handles RF data from the security sensors? Has anyone else tried using the V572RF32 with security sensors and AHP/OnAlert? 

AHP will react to these now converted PLC signals just like any other PLC signal. They can be used to trigger macros or turn devices ON/OFF that are set to the same HC/UC.

If you convert your security sensors to PLC with the V572RF32, then you don't necessarily need OnAlert. However, when security sensors are converted to regular X10 PLC signals, any macros they trigger are now subject to such things as power line noise, signal suckers or even false triggers from a neighbor.

Using the V572RF32 with AHP works incredible for RF range, but just be aware of the potential holes that are poked into your security system. I use mine in conjunction with the DS7000, so the security side is still reliably and I mainly use the converted PLC signals for non-security (mainly automation) macros.

Norm

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »

Thanks for all of the input. Is there a way to make a light flash, other than writing a long macro to repeatedly turn lights on and off rapidly?

Norm

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »

...Is there a way to make a light flash, other than writing a long macro to repeatedly turn lights on and off rapidly?...
You could always have universal module trigger a powerflash module. If you chose this option, make sure the universal module is set to a different HC than the powerflash module.
Doing it with programming wouldn't require a long macro. Simply 2 or 3 small ones.
Which approach would you prefer the hardware one or a software one? If you're interested in a software approach, would you want it to continue flashing till you told it to stop or just for a certain period of time.
I have a macro to flash my lights that I can start and stop via a button or by voice using the BVC software with AHP.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Norm

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »

Thanks..I'll try the macro.

I just received my V572RF32; now I have to set it up.

Norm

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 03:04:08 PM »

Thanks..I'll try the macro.
So would you like lights to flash continuously till you shut them off or auto stop after a period of time?
I'd be happy to share my macros if you think they would help.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

jtykal

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • It was working fine yesterday...
    • Casa Bella - Vacation Condo in Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »

Anxiously awaiting your test results, Norm...

I've been experimenting with several different homemade antennae on my f-modded CM15A. So far, I've been unable to reliably receive signals from all of my DS10A modules, and have completely given up on the MS10A. (Incidentally, my DS7000 responds to all of these modules just fine.) If you report favorably wrt using the V572RF32 to convert security RF signals to PLC, I may just give up on the antenna mods and do the same. I've "invested" at least 20 hours in testing/tweaking, and if I can spend $90 to make my signal problems go away, I will happily do it!

The wife is starting to worry that I'm not getting enough sleep. Who would have thought that my desire to turn on a light when a doors opens could evolve into such a time consuming (and expensive) hobby...  ;D
AHP-CM15A(ext.ant)-SmartMacros-OnAlert-DoorMonitor(custom)-Win7
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.