Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: video vs sensor interference  (Read 7860 times)

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
video vs sensor interference
« on: February 24, 2008, 09:20:12 AM »

I have set-up all the sensors & motion, tested etc.  Now as soon as I plug in the video receiver for cameras the sensors no longer report.  Video is fine.  Running both on same computer, Cm is 5' off floor mounted on the wall, video recv on desktop a good 6 -7 ft away.  Ideas to get both to communicate without one overriding the other?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: video vs sensor interference
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »

.........................  Running both on same computer...................................
  Ideas to get both to communicate without one overriding the other?

By "both running on same computer" I assume you mean: both the AHP and Video software is running on the same computer.

The motion sensors you mention, are they the typical Active or EagleEye or the hardwired floodLight or floodCam?

The reason I ask.. is the RF for the little battery powered sensors is 310MHz while the Video sender/receivers use 2.4Ghz. Those aren't likely to have any effect on each other.

However.... Having a computer sharing a circuit with the AHP can be undesirable do to the noise a PC can put on the line. One more little device... even the transformer from the video receiver.. could be enough to cause a problem.

If your using wireless motion sensors: Search here about increasing the range of the CM15A. My favorite idea is simply wire-tie a piece of coathanger wire to the plastic antenna of the CM15A. Computer monitors can also generate a good deal of RF interference (as does many PC's)... test the set-up with the monitor off. Also moving the CM15A further from the PC can be helpful. You can do use a USB extention to relocate the CM15A.

If your using wired motion sensors: Filter the computer (search X10 filters) and/or map your circuits. You may find the area where you have your set-up has more than one circuit available.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

x10challanged

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »

All are wireless don't know RF assumed all sensors and Camera from X-10 were 2.4.  Motion sensors are MS10A for the DC8700. I did the coathanger trick with CM15A a couple days ago and it worked to extend the range almost far enough have ordered a repeater to help complete the distance about 70' for last 2 sensors. In order to cover all sensors & motion I have (2) DC8700 next to each other close to the center of the house which both monitor, arm, disarm and "appear" at the time to be playing nicely with each other.
The cameras are wireless no problem with video reception with or without the CM15A plugged in, furthest camera is 110'.  Problem remains the CM15A does not like the video receiver.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »

Now as soon as I plug in the video receiver for cameras the sensors no longer report.

........... have ordered a repeater to help complete the distance about 70' for last 2 sensors. ....................... Problem remains the CM15A does not like the video receiver.

Hopefully ... the repeater will bump up the sensors reception [and strongly repeat] to the CM15A. I would still try putting the video receiver on an extendion cord if needed.... and try another plug.

x10challanged

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »

;D  Thanks for the info Dave, my solution so far has been to change plugs on the Video recv'r (electrical as well as move to front side USB instead of back, away from the CM15A USB plug.  I repositioned and modified the CM15A antenna as well as repositioned the Video Recv'r to a highier "unobstructed" point.  I also purchased a repeater.  All sensors now appear to be functioning properly with very good range.  I have only recently gotten back to the Video issues and already see a need for modification of their antennas as well.  Will post those issues in the Video forum.  Thanks again for your help.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »

... my solution so far has been to change plugs on the Video recv'r (electrical as well as move to front side USB instead of back, away from the CM15A USB plug.  I repositioned and modified the CM15A antenna as well as repositioned the Video Recv'r to a highier "unobstructed" point.  I also purchased a repeater.  All sensors now appear to be functioning properly with very good range. 

Thanks for checking back! It's always nice to hear how things work out!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.