Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: false alarms  (Read 6444 times)

rosie6456

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
false alarms
« on: February 24, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »

I set system and it false alarms. When I get home I check system and nothing seems out of order. Can someone clue me in to why or what seems to be the main reason for the system false alarms.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: false alarms
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »

I set system and it false alarms. When I get home I check system and nothing seems out of order. Can someone clue me in to why or what seems to be the main reason for the system false alarms.

I've never had even one false alarm (typing with fingers crossed now).

You can test your system by arming it while at home. Generally speaking... it won't trigger while your home. Again... Generally speaking... that will be because it is being triggered by your motion sensors (which aren't used in "home mode").

There are two ways to deal with the false triggers from motion sensors.

• On the back of the sensor... there is a switch.. with the numbers 1 & 2. Moving the switch to the 2.. will require the sensor to detect movement twice... before triggering (reporting to) the console.
  • You can find areas of you home.. less effected by bright (changing) light (like windows) or heat from heating vents (or maybe automated lighting).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:18:06 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:42:45 PM »

Join the club! the MS10a is known for false alarms in the first position, Like Dave said try using the position 2 instead, if you got some good MS10a's this should resolve your problem. Although MS10a's have been known not to function properly in the mode two It's been reported that on occasion you would be able to walk through a protcted zone and not trip the sensor while in that position. x10 makes a Pro version which is much more reliable in mode 2 so if you have problems with the 10a's then insist x10 replace them with the Pro versions PMS01, problem solved!

tomj
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:17:35 PM by tom j »

rosie6456

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »

Thanks for replies that focus on motion detectors. Is there a possibility of outside signals activating system--ie: garage door openers or other homes with a similar x10 setup?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »

Is there a possibility of outside signals activating system--ie: garage door openers or other homes with a similar x10 setup?

I've never heard of any issues with garage door openers interfering with the DS7000. Different frequencies & different codes, so highly unlikely.

The only way another home (neighbor) could interfer with your system is if you accidentally installed one of their security devices into your DS7000.

As Dave_x10_L and tom j suggested, the most likely culprit is the MS10A motion detector. I gave up on mine long ago because of their unreliability. Have you ever had a false alarm in Home Mode? If not, then that should pinpoint the motion sensors as the source of your problem.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »

I replaced my motion sensors with the Pro version and set them on sensitivity 2, and had only one false alarm in a year, which I attributed to a rapid change in heat.  I agree with Tom J whole heartedly........

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »

I replaced my motion sensors with the Pro version and set them on sensitivity 2, and had only one false alarm in a year, which I attributed to a rapid change in heat.  I agree with Tom J whole heartedly........

Hi JMac! glad everything has worked out for you, I had to send those 10a's back a few times before x10 finally sent me the Pro version I didn't even know there was a different flavor until they sent the PMS01 to replace them after which the difference was immediate in mode two the things actually worked! x10 is now claiming that there's actually no difference between the 10a's and the PMS01 But I did a side by side comparison and the Pro's outperformed the 10a's in the 2 step mode to the extent that denial that there's not a difference is simply absurd. Actually I just don't believe either one has the sophistication to reliably work in a 1 movement mode, there's just no room for error a sudden draft or a curtain moving can set theses thing off because they lack the sophistication of circuity of the more advanced units on the market that have actually employed temperature compensation and microprocessor technology to continuously analyze the protected area in order to identify true motion and eliminate false alarms.

Actually inexpensive units like theses usually forgo one movement altogether and concentrate on 2 and or three steps to trigger an alarm. x10's original 9 volt motion detector SP554 had an excellent 2 movement mode!! in 5 years I never had a false alarm but the battery life and range were very poor, and was replaced with the MS10a's. These things would respond immediately after it detected a serious of movement if the 10'a were based on the circuitry of the SP554 2 movement mode and just dropped the 1, they would really have a superior inexpensive detector. Say x10 are ya listening???   ;)

tomj
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:05:24 PM by tom j »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.