Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what do i need?  (Read 5627 times)

pyth0n

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
what do i need?
« on: February 12, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »

Im needing a setup that will allow me to see who is at the front door and also record it to a pc.
I want it to be motion activated, and pop up a PIP on the tv while im watching it while simultaneously recording  the event on my pc, is that possible?
Also, it needs to be able to see in low light for night time as well.

i dont need it to record to a vcr or anything just want it to display the live video over the pip, and the ability to turn it on when i want and do a time lapse recording as well through the pc should i need to monitor on any particular day when im expecting someone.

also i have a linksys 2.4 GHz wireless router with increased power output would a wireless camera still be able to operate in that environment? are you able to change the channels that the carera operates on
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:20:28 PM by pyth0n »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: what do i need?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:38:40 PM »

Im needing a setup that will allow me to see who is at the front door and also record it to a pc. I want it to be motion activated, and pop up a PIP on the tv while im watching it while simultaneously recording  the event on my pc, is that possible?

X10 is well know for their motion activated cameras and video to PC set-ups. X10 is just about as well know for displaying cameras to TV's. I even make a DoorCam YouTube Contest Video <link sometime ago. You will see other X10 videos on YouTube also.

I have never owned a PiP TV... I don't know whats involved with PiP. However even if a IR (remote) signal is required.. it can be done.

Also, it needs to be able to see in low light for night time as well.

I use and like the X10 low light camera... I also use (and like) IR (night vision) cameras. Ether would work in your set-up.

i dont need it to record to a vcr or anything just want it to display the live video over the pip, and the ability to turn it on when i want

No problem, I auto-display to my TV, video tape, and email video images... all at the same time.

..... and do a time lapse recording as well through the pc should i need to monitor on any particular day when im expecting someone.

I don't know anything about the time-lapse recording.... But I am sure other people will reply that do.

also i have a linksys 2.4 GHz wireless router with increased power output would a wireless camera still be able to operate in that environment? are you able to change the channels that the carera operates on

I use wired and wireless cameras, wireless phones, and wireless broadband (wifi).... I have even found enough room on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum to use a wireless IP camera. Both the X10 wireless cameras... and your Linksys router have changeable channels.

I don't have a set of directions on how to do what you would like to do. Or a list of problems you may run into... or solutions to those problems. But all the info needed is posted in or on the threads of this forum. And very specific questions can be answered more directly when posted.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 06:41:05 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: what do i need?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:40:09 PM »

...I don't know whats involved with PiP. However even if a IR (remote) signal is required.. it can be done....
The PiP signal is typically from an external source or sometimes a 2nd tuner. I don't know what obstacles you would have to make it pop up automatically but a camera signal can certainly be displayed in the PiP window.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.