Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 5341 times)

ChristyVoltron

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Please Help
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »

My husband and I have X-10 modules on the lights in our house and we believe that recently a neighbor or neighbors have installed them in their house.  Our lights go on and off at all hours of the night.  Barring changing the code for the lights is our only resort to hire an electrician?  We turned off most switches in the house using the sliding mechanism at the bottom of the switch which effectively means we have no lights.  But last night we noticed that there is one light in the house which requires that the off button be pushed 20 times before it goes off.  Would anyone have any ideas as to why this occurs?  It happened twice last night -- at 1 and 3 AM!!  Thanks for your help!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »

............... we believe that recently a neighbor or neighbors have installed them in their house. 

............... changing the code for the lights is our only resort

Welcome to the forum Christy!

It looks to me... that you may have already found the problem.. AND the solution.

Although having a neighbor interfer with another persons X10 equipment ISN'T comman... it can and does happen.. but not often. Changing to a different House (letter) code will likely resolve you problem if that is the case.

If I was your neighbor... it might not be a bad idea for us to agree on a division of X10 codes (as I use a few). We could also filter our incoming lines... if that was needed.

You didn't include any equipment/X10 device list... so I am assume you have a rather basic set-up. Let us know if changing the House Code (a quick simple change) does or doesn't resolve your problem.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ChristyVoltron

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »

We can't figure out as of yet which neighbor it is -- but can you think of a reason why it would be so hard to turn the lights off once they have done us the favor of turning it on at 1 AM?

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »

We can't figure out as of yet which neighbor it is -- but can you think of a reason why it would be so hard to turn the lights off once they have done us the favor of turning it on at 1 AM?

No... I could only guess.

However I would "using the sliding mechanism at the bottom of the switch" re-enable local control of the switches. That should at least make them easier to turn off.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »

... we believe that recently a neighbor or neighbors have installed them in their house....
Welcome to the forum Christy!...
...Although having a neighbor interfere with another persons X10 equipment ISN'T common...
Ditto on the welcome, Christy.

For my experience using X10 products over the last 25-30 years or so I concur with Dave's statement. I have never in the life of my X10 use ever had a neighbor that used X10. What I use to do every time I move into a new area is use the "Find Other Computers" options under tools in AHP or it's equivalent command in previous software. You haven't posted what equipment you have so I don't know if this is an option for you. One thing you can do this evening if you have any sort of plug in controller, is sit on your front porch or elsewhere that you have an outlet and view of your neighbors. Send an "ALL Lights On" followed by an "All Units Off". repeat this a few times. If you have a neighbor on the the same HC you'll be doing both of you a favor.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:50:26 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »

............... Send an "ALL Lights On" followed by an "All Units Off". repeat this a few times.

The reason I didn't suggest that... was the 1 & 3 AM times.

.........It happened twice last night -- at 1 and 3 AM!! 

I was wondering if it could be a HVAC macro of some sort.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:46:30 PM »

I'm still betting on something in her house but I suggested the early evening to test just in case.

Christy: Post what hardware and software, if any, you're using and we'll be better able to help you figure out what is causing the problem. Start keeping a log of the times it happens, what house / unit codes are affected, and if you just sent an X10 signal yourself.
i.e. If it is happening at a particular time each day, it might be a timed event at your house or next door causing it. If a light comes back on every time you turn it off, it could be a neighbor turning his (and your) light back on or the type of bulb you have.

BTW... It happens to the best of us from time to time even after years of debugging, filters, signal boasters, and phase couplers. Murphy gives us opportunities to tweak are systems from time to time. Sometimes macros can create and send unrecorded "ghost signals" that require placement of delays to fix. Other times a remote can get a sticky button or fall down in the couch to be triggered at the oddest times.
e.g. All my lights came on twice the other night and my activity monitor showed no "All Lights On" command at any time. I've also misplaced one of my remotes. - Hmm.. Maybe I should go lift a few cushions.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:01:09 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

coder1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »

if you have a remote, maybe you can go for a walk at night and see if you can notice anyone's lights turning on and off with it.

ChristyVoltron

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »

Thanks for trying to help!  I appreciate it very much.  We just have ordinary wall switches, some plug in modules, a transceiver module and a few remotes.  Any suggestions of additional equipment or software?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

If you are getting X10 interference from a neighbor, the neighbor has to be on the same transformer as you.   Contact the neighbors on both sides of you and nicely ask them if they just got X10.  If they admit it, try to get them to use only certain housecodes.

If you are using AHP, go into Find Other Computers. Your module addresses will show in green, others will show in yellow or red. If you see modules in it that you don't recognize, that's the neighbor's.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »

Thanks for trying to help!  I appreciate it very much.  We just have ordinary wall switches, some plug in modules, a transceiver module and a few remotes.  Any suggestions of additional equipment or software?
Down the line, you might consider the AHP software but I'd wait till you resolve this problem and feel the need for more automation.

No sensors. Right?

Ok here's the next steps...

• Try a different HC. - If this solves the problem, you might have a neighbor with X10.
  • Go manual for a few days. - Unplug the transceiver and put the remotes in a drawer. If the "lights on" problem stops then it's either a defective transceiver or an RF signal from somewhere causing the problem. If it continues, for more than one light and appliance/lamp module, then it's a good chance you have a neighbor with X10. Just a problem with one switch might mean that switch is defective.
  • After a couple days of peace, plug in the transceiver but take out the batteries from the remotes. - If the "lights on" problem restarts, then it's either a defective transceiver or an RF signal from somewhere causing the problem.
  • Return the batteries to the remotes one day at a time and see if the problem occurs. - If so, a remote may be defective.

The X10 RF remotes aren't known for their range so most likely it would have to be a close neighbor to reach your transceiver, if that is the problem.

BTW.. What kind of lights are you controlling? Standard bulbs? CFLs?

Keep us up to date on what is happening.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:28:30 PM by steven r »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.