Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPD13 dimmer installation  (Read 6414 times)

coder1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPD13 dimmer installation
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »

I'm by no means an electrical expert and that is probably why I can't get this to work.  This item says it can be used as a 3 way or single pole switch.

I had a dimmer in my wall that worked fine before.  I took it out, and there were only 2 wires. (black and a white)

I figured they were line and load, so I hooked the blue wire (load) from the xpd13 to the white wire, and the line wire (black) to black.  Nothnig worked.  I have an X10 monitor and nothing showed up when engaging it.  I switched the wires and still got nothing.

Does this sound like the right configuration?  Maybe a bad unit?  Maybe I messed it up with bad wiring?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XPD13 dimmer installation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:50:46 AM »

Looking at the Installation Sheet for the XPDI3 shows it needs a Neutral wire in addition to the Line and Load that you have. Sounds like you have a switch loop and no Neutral in the switch box.

coder1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »

thanks Brian, are there any switches you know of that i could get away with just a line and load? or do i need to have some re-wiring done?

jtykal

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • It was working fine yesterday...
    • Casa Bella - Vacation Condo in Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »

The WS467 has just a line and load, and from what I understand the newer ones can be dimmed locally. Even the old ones (like mine) can be dimmed via remote.
AHP-CM15A(ext.ant)-SmartMacros-OnAlert-DoorMonitor(custom)-Win7

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:31:35 PM »

The WS467 toggle type or the WS12A decorator type are both for incandescent lights and only use the line and load wries.
If you have a three way the WS4777 Kit has a master and companion switch in it and the WS12A can be controlled by a WS14A companion switch.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.