Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Freezer Monitor/Or sump pump  (Read 3081 times)

dw1891

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Freezer Monitor/Or sump pump
« on: February 29, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »

I'm getting ready to start down the HA road with X10. I'm starting with something simple like just automating my front porch with a sensor and lighting. I'm trying to look at what my options are for monitoring things like my freezer working or not. What the best way to monitor it? Can I monitor amp draw if I plug in an x10 module, is there a good temp sensor that would work in a freezer?

I would like to have it able to monitor my freezer and sump to see that they are working, but I don't know if this is possible, and at least without introducing another point of failure. Any ideas?

-David
dw1891

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Freezer Monitor/Or sump pump
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 04:43:20 PM »

I'm getting ready to start down the HA road with X10. I'm starting with something simple like just automating my front porch with a sensor and lighting. .................. I would like to have it able to monitor my freezer and sump to see that they are working....................

Welcome to the forum dw1891

I am fond of saying:  The use of Home Automation is limited..... only by our imaginations.

I say that.... because it is true! Well... the depth of ones pockets can be a factor also.

I am currently thinking of adding a water detection system myself. I was thinking of using a DS10 (door/window sensor) and ether using Puck's mod or maybe a standard sounding/alarm unit with a low voltage relay... or other off-the-shelf unit. Of course I would run that through my CM15A (OnAlert)... and thinking a text message to my cell phone would be the way to go. 

That said... it's best that you start with a smaller project "like just automating my front porch with a sensor and lighting" and get to know how X10 works... and build your system. But DO PLAN ON HAVING FUN... X10 IS A HOOT!!!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 02:22:21 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

scrafferty

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 09:52:53 PM »

I currently have a wayne bottom fed sump on one of X10's appliance modules.  Although the pump is automatic, I am still not comfortable enough to leave it on its own merits so I am going to turn it on and off once an hour to do a reset.

Next I will put in a light and a camera on it so that I can monitor it from anywhere in the world.

Is there a water sensor available for X10 ?????? I would love to have it if so..... I have been using X10 for about 6 years and have been through the good bad and ugly for several of their products.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »

Is there a water sensor available for X10 ?????? I would love to have it if so..... I have been using X10 for about 6 years and have been through the good bad and ugly for several of their products.

This is the thread I refered to earlier.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=12763.msg81867#msg81867
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.