Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rock solid  (Read 45275 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Rock solid
« on: February 18, 2006, 09:37:37 AM »

I used this little program for many years with my firecracker CM17A ( fig nuton) There are some features in this little freebie that iWitness (AHP Plugin) could benifit from.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Rock solid
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »

If you already have a video capture box/tv tuner on your pc (non x10 product) and use xray vision software, what would using the firecracker thingy on the computer ADD to this setup?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »

Adding the firecracker would allow multiple cam control(switching between cams) it will also add some Home automation(lights & appliance control) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

birdzeye

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »

Adding the firecracker would allow multiple cam control(switching between cams) it will also add some Home automation(lights & appliance control) ;)

Tuicemen, thanks. The Home automation sounds good, but could you elaborate more on the multiple cam control? I can already switch between cams with my CR12A and video capture device. Does the firecracker allow you to view more than one camera at a time or just auto switch between them? I also have a minitimer2 which switches cameras by timer.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »

The FireCracker when used with Xray Vision can switch the cams via the PC!
If I remember right Xray Vision allows you to set a time interval so the program scans through your cams automatically!
When doing this it displays the current cams view and I believe you can set it to auto take snapshots as well!
Also Xray Vision has a option to connect remotely and allow you to view your cams from any internet connection!
With the FireCracker installed you can switch views to the cam of your choice over the internet as well! ;)
Remember Xray was one of X10s first releases of camera viewing software there are newer ones out with more options! ;)
I'm not sure if Xray has a split screen to show the last cams view\pic (I only had one cam when I used this) but it will not show streaming for more then one cam at a time!(but then none of X10s cam software does!)  :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »

The FireCracker when used with Xray Vision can switch the cams via the PC!
If I remember right......................................... but it will not show streaming for more then one cam at a time!(but then none of X10s cam software does!)  :(

Nothing like oldmen remembering the way things were. Back in the early Internet days... I bought TWO of the 1st 100,000 Web Cams ever sold.

Of course there was NO "broadband" connections (outside of certain industries). (What-we-called) streaming video had a refresh rate of (maybe) 2 frames per sec. (when it was working right). Not even AOL freely supported Web Cams at that time.... we had to rent server space elsewhere... an annual fee. A lot has changed! The inabilities of video via the Internet are now more technical... than technological.

I don't think you can beat the live video images of a really good IP Camera (that has it's own built-in IP server firmware) that connects directly to your broadband. Of course... living at the cutting edge... doesn't require a sharp knife. It only requires a fat wallet.

I think Tuicemen's idea is a good one, if I understand it correctly. Yesterdays high-end-high-tech... is easily exploited with today's technology. Often with very impressive results... for very little money.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

birdzeye

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »

I used this little program for many years with my firecracker CM17A ( fig nuton) There are some features in this little freebie that iWitness (AHP Plugin) could benifit from.

Which features does it have that AHP could benefit from, Tuicemen?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 03:16:50 PM »

Which features does it have that AHP could benefit from, Tuicemen?
I liked the ability to sense motion in the pic and act on it! ;)
Problem was it was a little sensitive but I'm sure that could be improved on!
Other video software have improved on this, think X10 missed the boat on that! :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

birdzeye

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 04:43:13 PM »

I have tried XRay vision and have encountered 3 problems with it which make it irritating to use:

1. It saves snapshots upside down

2. It keeps trying to dial an internet connection even though I have broadband, and an error box keeps popping up continuously which led to my having to uninstall the damn thing.

3. The preview window is very small and I couldn't find a way to make it bigger.

Other than that it was kinda neat, considering the price ;D
However it makes me thing twice about buying any other camera software. :-\

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »

1.Saving images upside down is a codec problem. ( I can remember where or if you can change a codec in Xray!)
2. If it keeps dialing a internet connection then you have a dialup conection configured somewhere!
I did test runit using broad band (cable ) with out it trying to use dial up!
3. I believe the largest preview was 640X480 I can't remember as to if I got it to go full screen but it was close to that!
Sorry I can't be more specific with a detailed walk through for options as I no longer have it installed!
I have test ran Vangaurd and find Active Home Pros(AHP) video plug-in to be just as good if not better!
You can sometimes find AHP with all plug-ins for under $50!
The only draw back is it requires the VA11A to feed video into it!
There are lots of free video (web cam) software available on the internet a search will turn up lots! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.