Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lights turn off on schedule, but only turn on on schedule sometime  (Read 6608 times)

krpurcel

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hiya,

I have Active Home Pro ver 3.236.  My computer OS is XP Pro.  I am having a problem with my outside lights.  Sometimes they turn on as scheduled and sometimes they do not.  They always turn off on schedule.  When I look at the Activity Monitor it shows the command to turn the lights on was sent ( a screen shot of the activity monitor is attached).  The macro sent the command to turn the lights on at 5:19, but the lights did not come on.  At 6:02 I opened Active Home on the computer.  The light switch for the outside lights was in the on position, but the lights were off.  I clicked the lightswitch in the Active Home software to turn it to the off position.  Then I clicked it again to turn it on. The lightswitch moved to the on position, and the Activity Monitor reflects a transmit activity to turn the lights on.  But the lights stayed off.

What confuses me more than anything is the behavior is sporadic.  Some days they turn on as scheduled.  Some days they do not.  Can anyone suggest the next steps to troubleshoot this?  I am not sure where to go from here.

Thanks
Kevin

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
Re: Lights turn off on schedule, but only turn on on schedule sometime
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »

One thing is 3.236 has a Timer bug. Maybe downloading 2.228 or later could help. Search AHP 2.236 on the forum and read about the bugs people have.

But First:
What module are you using. My ws467 did the samething but I had to tell AHP that it was a Lamp module and not a wall switch. Had something to-do with the new soft start features.
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »

Hang on folks.
First of all I wish all would get out of trying to put 3.236 out for the count. So far for me 3.236 is working correctly, all timers included. Plugged in 24/7 or not.

krpurcel, even when you turn the switch on and off in AHP and sometimes it works and sometime not, then issues like this all always contributed to signal suckers. I see issues like this even with 3.228 of which is still running at my business. With my XTB, WGL transceiver, and filters at home leaves me with no issues. My business does not have the XTB or WGL, but only a few filters and 95% of the time the system works while on a few incidents I will experience issues like yours or a timer missed a trigger off or on.
A signal meter will always confirm this for you.

Please feel free to list all module you have. Do a search for signal suckers too. Making a phase map of your home is always essential for any X10 setup. Unplug other items on the same circuit to help diagnose your problem.

Many here always welcome a challenge, but in doing so the last thing we need to do is make more work for ourselves before we use up all the easy options.

Good luck and never give up.

krpurcel

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »

Jsnlong & BabBalou,

Thanks very much for your replies.
The module in question is a WS467.  When I edit the module in AHP, it is set as a lamp module.  Other modules in use are lamp modules LM465 and appliance modules AM466.

Don't know how to check for signal suckers  (don't have a signal meter) or make a phase map of my home.  Are there posts in the forum somewhere that can educate me about these subjects?

Again, thanks for responding and trying to help.  I appreciate it. 

Kevin

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »

When I say set it as a lamp module I mean instead of calling it a WS467 under the "lamp module menu. Call it a LM465. I read that a second time and want to be sure I said it right  :'

A very good link. Has allot of good information
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=7951.0

The easy way to look for noise problems and signal suckers is to just start unplugging things in the house one at a time and see if it helps the problem.  Common things are TV's , Cell phone chargers, and Computers but that's just a small list of what people have found to give them problems.

And to BAbBalou comment. He and a few others have NO problems with AHP 2.236 so that's good but there has been some people complaining. I myself haven't upgraded cause so many people have commented on Problems.  But he is right I don't think that's your problem sense its not a all the time thing.

Good Luck
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »

That's the attitude.
So you ask and you shall receive.

These are some links to get you started. It gives you the basics of X10 and PLC.

Don't worry about the meter, yet, just try unplugging signal sucker, electronics and powerpacks and CFLs and so on, items that create enough electronic noise from itself that is strong enough to either suck the whole X10 signal or do enough to make it miss a step or two, like turning off or on a switch. Items like that including and not limited to cell phone chargers, laptops will effect the X10 signals very much, boosting that signal or filtering the offending culprit will help in steps to achieving an X10 world. Mapping your panel box and your house is just associating every single outlet, switch and equipment you have in your home to its breaker in the panel and I MEAN every single electrical item in your home. Having this for X10 is important as well just having that info handy at the panel is always a good plan.

Enough for now, but please don't be afraid to ask. This forum is full of info and members who would love to see you succeed with X10 as well as we have done, but dint be fooled, X10 is an awesome system when respected and babied will grow to become a proud show and case for your friends and family but like a baby it will need time, patients, a heck of lot of reading, $$$$ and then a little more reading as well as a ton of questions, you will have times you would wish the whole damn things sucks to hell and want to switch to another brand, but you will only spend a ton more money and never have the chance to say you were a part of an AWESOME web site like X10 (JOKE). Here is links to get started, keep a log of everything you do with X10, keep a good record to help grow you info and doing an Advanced Search on this forum will always do good results for you.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=11184.msg63966#msg63966

http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb03/articles/chadwick/debug.htm

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm   ( #1, awsome product )

http://www.act-solutions.com/PCC/uncle.htm

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=7951.0   ( VERY INFORMATIVE )

All the best.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:14:26 AM by JeffVolp »

krpurcel

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 12:27:29 AM »

You guys are awesome.  Thanks! 

I'll be back once I get some ed-je-ca-tion!

:-)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.