Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What would be the best module?  (Read 9667 times)

idbl_fanatic

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
What would be the best module?
« on: March 05, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »

I have some under cabinet lights, that are LED lights, what would be the best module to use for these?

Thanks

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: What would be the best module?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:14:26 AM »

Do they plug in or are they hard wired?
First you want to avoid any module or switch that dims.
Assuming they plug in, I'd start with an appliance module. Since LEDs use so little energy, you still may experience a dim glow. It's likely that you may need to plug a non LED night light in with the lights and/or modify the appliance module.
Search the forum and you will find a lot of discussion on this subject. Way too much for me to summarize with this one reply.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:28:55 AM »

I have some under cabinet lights, that are LED lights, what would be the best module to use for these?

I use LED's... and because they use so little electric to light.. the only effective means of turning them completely off is with a relay (non-current sensing) type switch. I have been using SocketRocket's and adaptors to turn mine on and off.

Whereas the adaptors work fine... I have also considered dusk-to-dawn plug-in switches. Or maybe no switching at all. My under-cabnet LED strip light provides more than enough light for safe coffee pouring... yet uses 0.8 watt (less than 1 watt). The power usage of any device that would control the LED.. will likely use as much power as the light itself. And with a 30,000 hour (or better) life span.... just leaving it on is an option.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:06:59 AM »

I use LED's... and because they use so little electric to light.. the only effective means of turning them completely off is with a relay (non-current sensing) type switch. I have been using SocketRocket's and adaptors to turn mine on and off.

Whereas the adaptors work fine... I have also considered dusk-to-dawn plug-in switches. Or maybe no switching at all. My under-cabnet LED strip light provides more than enough light for safe coffee pouring... yet uses 0.8 watt (less than 1 watt). The power usage of any device that would control the LED.. will likely use as much power as the light itself. And with a 30,000 hour (or better) life span.... just leaving it on is an option.

The reason I want to be able to turn them off and on, is because I want to be able to control them with my remote, I have them behind my plasma TV on the wall, and don't want them on all the time.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:20:33 AM »

The reason I want to be able to turn them off and on, is because I want to be able to control them with my remote, I have them behind my plasma TV on the wall, and don't want them on all the time.

Then the  SocketRocket's and adaptors..... IMHO are generally the way to go.

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:22:48 AM »

Then the  SocketRocket's and adaptors..... IMHO are generally the way to go.

Where would I get the adapters? At a hardware store?

and I plug the Socket Rocket in between these two correct?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:08:48 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »

The adapters are comman... and can be purchased at your local hardware, home improvement store... or even Walmart. The socket rocket DOES go between the two adapters shown. I sometimes also use a three outlet adapter too... so the unit hangs closer to the wall.

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »

The adapters are comman... and can be purchased at your local hardware, home improvement store... or even Walmart. The socket rocket DOES go between the two adapters shown. I sometimes also use a three outlet adapter too... so the unit hangs closer to the wall.

Sweet!! Thanks SO much...........

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 11:08:45 AM »

...I have also considered dusk-to-dawn plug-in switches. Or maybe no switching at all. My under-cabinet LED strip light provides more than enough light for safe coffee pouring... yet uses 0.8 watt (less than 1 watt). The power usage of any device that would control the LED.. will likely use as much power as the light itself. And with a 30,000 hour (or better) life span.... just leaving it on is an option.
Good points!
Unless you need to turn them off often just leaving LEDs on is sometimes the easiest solution.

Sometimes we let our "home automation addictions" rule our life when there can be an easier and often cheaper solution.
e.g. I like to have the light on my fish tank come on in the evening. Well I already have the tank backed up with an UPS backup for the water pump and backup heater. For convenience the light is plugged into the surge protected non backup part of the UPS. While I could of run the light cord over to the outlet with the UPS cord, it wouldn't of been a neat arrangement. The X10 filter that the UPS is plugged into doesn't leave space for me to plug in a lamp module. So my solution was a simple $6 timer from Walmart plugged into the non backed up side of the UPS. Yes I have to get up and manually turn on the light at other times when I want it but let's face it if I'm close enough to enjoy the fish I'm close enough to turn the knob on.  :)
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 12:16:18 PM »

$0.02 FWIW

There might be a (albeit) slight advantage to turning off inexpensive white LED strings (aka Christmas strings) during the day. The white LEDs use fluorescent phosphor to make white light, and the real cheap ones have a seriously short output expectancy due to use of cheap fluorescent material. I have a 2006 string of Christmas LEDs tucked up under kitchen cabinets and under a coffee table to make a nice soft glow. Especially useful when walking a dark house at night.  I can detect a reduction in light output compared to when they were new, so have resorted to Socket Rockets in hopes of doubling their useful life as opposed to leaving them on constantly. I would guess the LEDs made for true residential lighting (under cabinet strips, rope lighting, etc) are of higher quality, since a Christmas light is assumed to only work a month or so per year.
Only food for thought.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »

well I found the part that plugs into the rocket socket, but I am having a hard time finding the part that the rocket socket plugs into.............

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »

...I am having a hard time finding the part that the rocket socket plugs into....
Lowes Item #: 72577  Model: 738V-SP-L
Take the picture to your local hardware store. They should have it.

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »

...I am having a hard time finding the part that the rocket socket plugs into....
Lowes Item #: 72577  Model: 738V-SP-L
Take the picture to your local hardware store. They should have it.

Funny, I was just typing this..............I found this as well, I will be stopping by Lowes tonight..............

Thanks!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »

I have found both male and female sockets at Wal-marts.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »

Actually found everything I needed last night, and they work PERFECT thanks all for everything!!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.